Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Flying Red Horse

Flying Red Horse
April 13, 2022 06:16PM
Interesting article about the state of the replica of the Flying Red Horse atop a Dallas hotel. Seems the city owns the replica (why?) as a part of its art collection. The article doesn't make clear how that came to be, but it seems that the hotel gets the benefit of the sign, while the city gets the cost of maintenance. And without some expensive repairs, the thing may fall onto the street below, or wherever the Texas winds propel it.

[www.dmagazine.com]

The article also makes the statement that the city has owned the original (which is safely on the ground) for 88 years. But the original was atop the same building, then the headquarters of Magnolia Petroleum (one of the forerunners of Exxon-Mobil) as the icon of the same company. Remember the ads, "Stop at the sign of the Flying Red Horse?" Why would the city own the sign that promoted the petroleum company?

I remember the words from the _Texas History Cartoons_ book concerning Dallas emerging skyline in the early 20th century with a character atop the Magnolia Building proclaiming, "You can see clear to Arkansas from here."

I also remember seeing the red Pegasus from afar when I was a kid and traveled out of town with my family. The "Flying Red Horse" on the skyline was evidence that one was approaching the beloved home city.

Dave McNeely
Re: Flying Red Horse
April 14, 2022 06:06AM
At first glance it appears that the reconstruction of the sign was not done to standard with the rehabilitation. Once you dig into the article you see who is pushing for the redo, which is a department with sinister ideas. There is something else going on here.
April 15, 2022 09:38AM
Would that be The Office of Arts and Culture, Ben? That office is said at the beginning of the article to have proposed the repairs. The photos included make it pretty clear that the structure is failing, certainly the second photo with the bent component, quite rusted. What evilness do you attribute to The Office of Arts and Culture, and in this case in particular?

I'd still like to know why the city owns the replica pf The Flying Red Horse helping to advertise a hotel, and why it may have owned the original when it advertised a petroleum company.

Maybe the modern successor of that oil company, Exxon-Mobil, could find a little spare change to pay for the repairs as a public service. That should be worth a little publicity in its favor.

Dave McNeely

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2022 09:53AM by old man from dallas.
April 25, 2022 07:08PM
actually the replica horse was built in the same way as the original. the sign is not being reconstructed, but rather the base requres work done on it to prevent further deterioration
I agree with McNeely that maybe Exxon-Mobil could help with the expenses since the sign is still a corporate trademark for Mobil Gas, although rarely used by the company
May 13, 2022 12:05PM
An article this week in the DMN suggests that the repairs to the Flying Red Horse's support structure are underway. I could not read the article due to a paywall.

I still wonder why this is the city's responsibility, since it is an advertising device for two corporations, one that owns the hotel, and one major oil and gas company.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login