Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

winter

winter
February 12, 2021 08:36PM
I hear that you guys are in for some major winter weather, with heavy snow and temperatures that occur only rarely -- like going back 20 or 30 years.

Stay warm and safe. Terrible crash in Ft. Worth. Tragic.

If you can, just stay home by the fire, drinking your favorite hot beverage and eating a bowl of homemade, Texas chili.

Cold here in Washington, and we may get a bit of snow in a couple of days, but nothing that is atypical for the time of year. Single digits, a few inches of snow. Happens every year at this time.

Dave McNeely
Re: winter
February 14, 2021 04:04AM
I awoke to see some snow cover on the ground. Temperature is still around 20 F.

Worst is yet to come temperature- and snow-wise, say the predictions.
About 8 F. is the lowest I've experienced in North Texas. Monday we supposedly see lower than that.
February 14, 2021 08:57AM
Hi Dennis, From what I saw, Monday or Tuesday should bring T to around 3 F in the Dallas environs. Lowest modern record is -2 I think, in 1991. It was -13 in Denton on that occasion. My sister lives in McKinney, and I saw a forecast of -1 for there. Anything under 5 F would rank in the coldest 10 days ever for Dallas. Another matter is duration of cold. There were 295 consecutive hours of 32 or below in Dallas in 1983. If the forecast holds, this will come close but not reach that.

Stay warm.

1989, not 1991. My memory bank is as old as the rest of me.

Dave McNeely

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2021 05:31PM by old man from dallas.
February 20, 2021 06:51AM
I think we reached -2 F. here in the outer suburbs (Collin County).
That was Monday--or was it Tuesday morning?

Snow was melting yesterday (Friday).
Even more today.

It'll be gone by Monday except in the shadows.
February 20, 2021 10:57AM
Hi Dennis, My brother-in-law at McKinney said -4F, I saw -2 on the report from DFW, and I think those were Tuesday. Terrible about all the power outages, people have died because of them. Of course, in some cases the deaths were due to a combination of the power off and just plain stupidity and ignorance. Who runs a portable power generator INSIDE THE HOUSE as two young men somewhere in S Texas did? Some others ran their cars inside closed garages for heat, and still others burned charcoal grills inside the house. Sixty-seventy years ago we used open gas space heaters, but the houses were old and drafty, and my mother always insisted on one slightly open window.

Dave McNeely
February 24, 2021 01:55PM
After temps rise from minus 2 to 81 degrees, Dallas-Fort Worth
could face thunderstorms with hail.

Tejas weather? -2 one Tuesday, +81 the next. SMH
And jerry 'JACKASS' jones bragging about "hitting
the energy jackpot"

[www.dallasnews.com]

[www.npr.org]
February 24, 2021 03:07PM
Frank, I saw that about Jones's company, and mentioned it in another post on "Power Outages." Nice guy, right?

Regarding temperature swings: In February 2011 (I think I got the year right) a blizzard dropped 35" of snow (or should I say BLEW 35"?) on Nowata, Oklahoma. Then the skies cleared to crystal. That night, with the radiation cooling, the temperature went down to -32 F. The next afternoon with strong southwesterly winds such as often develop in the lee of a cold front (as you are experiencing now) the temperature rose to +72 F, for a daily swing of 104 degrees. In Edmond, OK, where we got 16" and the temperature was -16, folks were shoveling snow in t-shirts and shorts in my neighborhood. I believe the temperature was in the mid-sixties then. I believe the NOAA NWS site for Norman, OK has a report about this event on its website. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: The 36" I remembered was actually the total from two different storms, one on 31 January -- 1 February, and one on 8 February -- 9 February. On the 10th, when the lowest T was measured (31, not 32 below as I thought), the snow depth was at about 20" due to compaction and melting between the two events. And the rise in T was not over such a short period as I thought I remembered, but rather over a week.

[sites.psu.edu]

Still remarkable. On that occasion, the -31 F temperature at Nowata was the lowest temperature in the lower 48 states.

Dave McNeely

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2021 03:46PM by old man from dallas.
February 24, 2021 05:36PM
Dave

You've probably already heard about this outrage:

"Some Texans Are Facing Electricity Bills Up to $8,000 After Winter Storm"

[time.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2021 07:39PM by Frank.
February 24, 2021 08:47PM
Definitely heard about it, and actually some reports quote even higher bills. It seems there is a class action lawsuit against the retail provider Gridley. We'll see what comes of that. And some woman from Austin, an energy consultant, claims that the parts of Texas that survived unscathed because they are on one of the other grids did so not because they are on those grids but because their power plants are winter hardened. Well guess what? Being on those grids, they are required to be so, so as to be able to deliver power under extreme winter conditions. They are responsible to the grids and therefore to the feds who regulate those grids.

Some parts of the country experience conditions similar to those in Texas last week every winter, and extreme conditions there mean -40, not -5, or +15, and subzero temps may last longer than the subfreezing lasted in Texas last week, but the power plants just keep on keepin' on. Further, the power companies don't up their rates to astronomical levels, because they are regulated by a utility commission, and have to justify rate increases yearly. Frequently the power companies here in Washington ASK for rate increases, but don't get them, because the utility commission finds them unjustified.

Still, when we had a horrible wind storm in November 2015, and some people lost power for a week during a cold snap, Avista, the local power company (Texas no longer has those, it is the wild west for retail power there), ponied up to pay the cost of warming centers and sent everyone who lost power a debit card for $200 to pay for unexpected expenses due to the outage. Instead, in Texas, people got bills for thousands of dollars, and Jerry Jones bragged about what a killing he made on the gouging.

And _The Wall Street Journal_ reported today that Texans have paid some $21B dollars in excess charges for electricity since the wild west free for all replaced regulated rates over what they would have paid had rates been regulated. _The Wall Street Journal_ is not known for being anti business or pro regulations.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login