Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

old photos, great stuff from mid 20th century to late 20th century dallas

old photos, great stuff from mid 20th century to late 20th century dallas
October 14, 2020 10:41PM
A really fantastic collection of Dallas photos, lots of places many of us will recognize:

[www.flickr.com]

I can't find anything to dislike except for the caption that places the Vogue theater in South Dallas. Another case of clueless newbies confusing things that never should be confused.

Dave McNeely
Re: old photos, great stuff from mid 20th century to late 20th century dallas
October 15, 2020 05:34AM
old man from dallas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A really fantastic collection of Dallas photos,
> lots of places many of us will recognize:
>
> [www.flickr.com]
> 72157624951950886/with/2659454462/
>
> I can't find anything to dislike except for the
> caption that places the Vogue theater in South
> Dallas. Another case of clueless newbies
> confusing things that never should be confused.

Hey Dave

Well, my old contrarianism forces me to point out
that technically, Oak Cliff is South Dallas.
If you click on the photo and then scroll down, there's
a link with:
2010 West Jefferson Boulevard,
Dallas, TX 75208
Plus comments and a photo of the Vogue during demolition.

As far as I can tell, clicking on any photo provides further info
and comments and adds another dimension to your great find.
Thanks Dave
Frank
October 15, 2020 11:19AM
Hmmm... . Most of Oak Cliff lies to the south of most of Dallas, though not much of it lies south of downtown, directionally. But directionally is not the meaning of South Dallas. South Dallas is a particular place, a neighborhood, in the sense that North Dallas is a neighborhood, East Dallas is a neighborhood, Oak Cliff is a neighborhood, West Dallas is a neighborhood, Pleasant Grove is a neighborhood. If we were to name all parts of the city geographically, we would be in a conundrum. Would Pleasant Grove become a part of East Dallas, a part of South Dallas, or designated Southeast Dallas? Geographically then, Oak Cliff would be Southwest Dallas.

The old neighborhoods should continue to have their proper and correct names, and I grew up in Oak Cliff, not in South Dallas, because I lived west of the Trinity River and south of the Southern Pacific Railroad. South Dallas was and is that part of Dallas south of Downtown Dallas and east of the Trinity River, and that does not include Oak Cliff.

Dave McNeely
October 15, 2020 03:56PM
Dave

Sorry you took this as an argument, but you're welcome for
the other features I pointed out in your find.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2020 04:16PM by Frank.
October 15, 2020 05:58PM
Sorry Frank. I wasn't intending to be argumentative. It just really irritates me when folks refer to Oak Cliff as South Dallas or West Dallas, which is commonly done by news people and sometimes others nowadays. Oak Cliff was and should today be recognized as a separate community from those places, which had and should today have their own identities. The Vogue Theater wasn't even in that part of Oak Cliff that lies closest to South Dallas.

Thank you for your appreciation of the site I found. I have yet to explore it as fully as it deserves. Evidently there are two different sets of photos involved, one that derived from the poster's employer, and another set that she produced herself. For some, at the time she posted them, she didn't know the identity of the subject or its location, but I can't tell that comments are still welcome. Perhaps someone who knows their way around the host better than I do can contribute though.

BTW, do you ever get the idea that this forum has become yours and my private medium? Few people seem to participate any more.

Dave McNeely
October 15, 2020 08:17PM
'sOK Dave

I started prepping about mid Feb and have been self-isolated since
early Mar, except taking out garbage. That, plus the insanity going on
right now, puts most everyone on edge.It has given me a new understanding
of the old alleged Chinese 'curse': "May you live in interesting times."

On the bright side, I might never go to another grocery store. I get groceries
delivered straight to my door from Amazon and Aldi for less than the price I
would pay here in Arlington at Tom Thumb or Kroger.

BTW, you can't expect newcomers or outsiders to know the crazy way certain
areas were named in the past. Fair Park is near due East of downtown and
the Dallas Zoo is near due South.smileys with beer
October 15, 2020 08:38PM
I have always enjoyed this forum since I joined back in 2008. However, I am more of a lurker than a contributor. I lived in Oak Cliff from 1956 through 1967. Lived in the Oakland Hills subdivision (south of Loop 12 and north of Camp Wisdom). Attended T.G. Terry, Browne & Carter before moving up to Denton for my senior year at Denton High. Enjoyed golf at Cedar Crest, Stevens Park, Tennison Park East & West courses and Sunset Golf Course out on Davis. My Dad was a teacher and coach at North Dallas High during this time. He also worked for Dr. Pepper during the summer months before teachers were paid full annual salaries. Many fond memories of those good old days. I don't do Facebook, but enjoy this site and all you folks.
October 16, 2020 06:16AM
Hey, Steve

You've been been a member much longer than I have.
So you know most of us are semi-friendly old geezers
just sharing and refreshing old memories. Sharing our
history seems to be an innate quality of the human
species.
Like you, I don't do facebook, mostly because it is rife
with hackers, and although my laptops are well
protected with virus and malware protection, both
Windows and a commercial firewall, double chained
VPNs, I still refuse to take that risk for so little gain.
Being a Cord Cutter, I LOVE YouTube. There is a
plethora of content there for lurkers without having
to interact with anyone. Free full length movies,
free audiobooks, a goldmine of do it yourself
videos, documentaries, up to the minute worldwide
newscasts, streaming real time events (Senate hearings).

Here is a link to over 400 FREE movies on YT:

[www.youtube.com]
October 16, 2020 07:32AM
Thanks Frank for the link! Yes, I love YouTube, it seems to have it all.
October 16, 2020 10:36AM
Steve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have always enjoyed this forum since I joined
> back in 2008. However, I am more of a lurker than
> a contributor. I lived in Oak Cliff from 1956
> through 1967. Lived in the Oakland Hills
> subdivision (south of Loop 12 and north of Camp
> Wisdom). Attended T.G. Terry, Browne & Carter
> before moving up to Denton for my senior year at
> Denton High. Enjoyed golf at Cedar Crest, Stevens
> Park, Tennison Park East & West courses and Sunset
> Golf Course out on Davis. My Dad was a teacher and
> coach at North Dallas High during this time. He
> also worked for Dr. Pepper during the summer
> months before teachers were paid full annual
> salaries. Many fond memories of those good old
> days. I don't do Facebook, but enjoy this site
> and all you folks.

Hey Steve, Glad to see you posting. Like you, I joined up many years ago, though the log says only 8 years ago -- that is after there was a glitch in the system and I had to rejoin. I actually have been a prolific poster, probably to some folks dismay. Sorry about that.

Like your Dad, I once taught in the DISD system, me at South Oak Cliff High School after integration and the resultant resegregation. When I was teaching there, we had a choice regarding our pay. We didn't get paid for the summer unless we taught in the summer, but we could have our pay distributed to us either in 9 or 12 months. Most folks did the latter, but I took mine in 9 months, figuring I had sense enough to handle it myself, and not wanting the district to hold money I had already earned.

I lived in Oak Cliff and sometimes in East Dallas, attending a whole bunch of elementary schools as my family was rather peripatetic. I was in Long Jr. High for 8th and 9th grades, then Kimball H.S., graduated 1963. I also have lived in Denton, first while I took an M.S. in Aquatic Biology, and then later when my wife was a librarian at Texas Woman's University.

I also do not Facebook, for the same reasons as Frank, and because I disagree with some of its actions. Some entities I just will not support, and that's enough about that.

I played golf at the same courses you did, but haven't golfed in probably 45 years. Ironically, I was the golf "coach" at South Oak Cliff H.S. for a year. That consisted of making sure the schedule worked, and getting the kids to the meets. I was actually told that I wasn't really coaching, and not to attempt to instruct the kids in golf. Since I was a terrible golfer, that was ok by me. I think I got $500 supplemental pay. The kids were actually good golfers, winning several tournaments.

Frank, I also am in semi-quarantine since February. I order my groceries for curb side pickup. Anything I need from any store, I get the same way. I go to the post office, because due to mail theft in my exurban neighborhood, I have to keep a PO box. I have been to a physician's clinic a few times, of necessity, but otherwise, I just stay home. I've learned that eating out, shopping, and such are not necessary. I have been camping, fishing, and bird watching several times, but have been able to stay well clear of other folks. Bonnie and I take our 2.5 mile walk almost daily around the neighborhood, but that too is without getting close to others.

I hope everybody can stay healthy.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login