Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

leaning tower of dallas

leaning tower of dallas
February 18, 2020 09:22AM
A building in Dallas evidently failed to fall completely upon implosion, and has made national news. Where is the building, what was its age and history? Not many details reported in the articles I have seen. Is it just hanging there as a pubic danger? There was an article in the DMN that may be more detailed, but I can't read DMN without paying, and I already spend too much on news services.

Dave McNeely
Re: leaning tower of dallas
February 18, 2020 10:58PM
Hereya go Dave. It was the Xerox Building at Haskell + 75.
If you click on the two little arrows in the bottom right corner of the video,
it will expand the video to full screen.

Frank

[dfw.cbslocal.com]
February 19, 2020 08:00AM
thanks Frank, I guess the incident was not as much an oddity as I thought, just something that demolition folks encounter. Seems surreal, though.

Besides the oddity of the building just shedding its external layers, this demolition illustrates the constant reworking of Dallas and other American cities by throwing away what to most people would appear to be perfectly good buildings constantly to replace them with something that current developers like better. In a few years that is repeated, ad infinitum. Then one goes to Europe and observes that buildings from not just decades, but hundreds of years ago still stand and function.

Dave McNeely
February 26, 2020 09:05AM
From what I read now, it looks like this thing will be around for a while. Wow! Must have been built by some real old school builder who thought things should last, though it looked to be a fairly modern building. Anyone recall another building that just couldn't be brought down? Maybe there is a lesson somewhere in whatever is holding it up?

Dave McNeely
March 02, 2020 08:25PM
Dave

Well it looks like the tower came own today 03/02/2020.
You can probably Google 'Dallas leaning tower' to find the story.

Frank
March 03, 2020 07:11AM
Thanks Frank, I saw a report on a national site. Family of the architect who designed the building said that their company "builds things tough." It's down now, after a week of smashing. Wow.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login