Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An Old Memory in Oak Cliff

Posted by DallasCop2566 
An Old Memory in Oak Cliff
September 28, 2019 03:38AM
In 1970 I was assigned to the Traffic Division and then assigned to the Late Night Shift (10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.) as an Accident Investigator.

There were only three officers assigned and with days off and vacation and holidays there was usually only two and sometimes one officer on shift.

The two other officers assigned had seniority on me, so they decided I would cover South Dallas and Oak Cliff, which I did not object to as I was somewhat familiar with the streets and freeways.

I would stop at Kip's Restaurant at 2600 South Zang Boulevard and most often the other officer(s) would join me for a coffee break.

The night manager always met us at the door and would seat us as far from the front and cashier area as possible, but we thought nothing about it. We could get loud laughing and telling war stories and we thought we were placed there as not to disturb the other customers.

This went on for over a year, just about every shift I worked.

One cold winter night and due to the prediction of freezing rain and sleet overnight, all three of us were on shift. We met around 3:30 a.m. and as usual entering the restaurant were seated in the far back. One of the other officers commented about us being the only customers there.

One of the other officers had to use the restroom which was located behind the cashier area. As he exited he stopped behind the cashier area to pull his pants leg over his boots and heard the phone ring. The night manager answered and the officer overheard," OK, that will be fifty on Pittsburg and fifty on Kansas City, got it".

Now we know why we were always seated far from the cashier area and the telephone-------------

The officer wrote a Field Intelligence Report to the Vice Division regarding what he heard.

About a week later we went into the restaurant and there was a new night manager.

I am not completely useless, I can always be used as a bad example.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login