Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

50th Anniversary Texas International Pop Festival

Posted by Frank 
August 31, 2019 09:44PM
For those of us who attended TIPF, it's a bit of a shock to realize how long ago that Labor Day weekend and those times actually are. We really thought we were changing, no, had changed the world. I see some young people now taking up the banner of progress and change and I am heartened. But also saddened to know I am so far past that age and can never return. Anyway,
I will break out my old Spooky Tooth "The Last Puff" album cover and roll a fat one for those that are gone.

[www.dallasnews.com]
Re: 50th Anniversary Texas International Pop Festival
September 01, 2019 02:11PM
I was there also for that 3 day party. Hard to believe it's been 50 years! Thanks for your post, Frank!
September 02, 2019 08:23AM
Steve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was there also for that 3 day party. Hard to
> believe it's been 50 years! Thanks for your post,
> Frank!

Well, I missed it (work (two jobs), school, family, financial considerations), but tried hard to figure a way to get out there for at least a part of it. I was quite conservative in outlook and behavior back then, but was really into the music (especially Joplin). But alas, I had to appreciate it mainly from albums. I remember the local news coverage, and the intense interest among my age group, while older people were making the usual observations about the young folks.

Dave McNeely
September 03, 2019 03:33PM
My friend Susan and I were there all three days. The really shocking thing is that those three days cost me a grand total of $18.00. It's no wonder Angus Wynn III lost money. I remember a large crowd with no fights or angst. I was in school in Denton at the time and knew quite a few of the volunteer security force. The Hog Farm came straight (no pun intended) down from Woodstock and gave out free food and advice and I still remember some of the bands in detail. My favorite band is never mentioned in the stories I've been reading this week. It was a Scottish folk band, The Incredible String Band. After days of Led Zeppelin and Joplin, they were completely different and wonderful. It was a truly orphic experience.
I have a Joplin story. We have a friend who was in a rock band at the junior college in Port Arthur in the early sixties. I asked him a few years ago what he used to think when they saw Janis coming up to the stage when they played. Without hesitation he said "Here comes that little fat girl, she's going to want to sing again." Welcome to Port Arthur.

Victoria Snyder Alvey
September 12, 2019 11:43PM
Sorry, I should have checked back sooner.

Here is a listing of TIPF vids on YouTube, some with vids, some with just music
recorded from the soundboard. The audio on most is better than fair, the vids not so much.

Caution: There are some very blurry skinny dipping sections.
[www.youtube.com]

Here is a single video.

[www.youtube.com]

For Led Zeppelin Phreaks, I highly recommend this audio only:

[www.youtube.com]

Somewhere packed away on a backup hard drive, I have the complete soundboard
recordings in lossless digital Monkey's Audio format

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2019 12:22AM by Frank.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login