Orange Julius
June 03, 2019 08:26PM
I realize that this organization was not Dallas based nor did it have anything special in Dallas. However, long before the outlet had a presence in malls and strip centers, there was an Orange Julius drive in on Colorado near the Polar Bear and across from Lake Cliff Park. That would have been in the late fifties, early sixties. Used to go by there after work in the evening with other high school kids to drink the orange drinks offered and flirt with the car hops. For a time I dated a girl who worked there, and on a few occasions I would pick her up when she got off at about midnight, and we'd go to the Bronco Bowl, which had recently opened and was open late.

Anyone else remember this outlet? Were there other Orange Julius drive-in in Dallas back in the day.

Dave McNeely
Re: Orange Julius
June 04, 2019 08:38PM
"My" Orange Julius location was at the corner of Marsh Lane and Walnut Hill in (what was then called) Far North Dallas. That intersection had an embarrassment of riches back in the day. There were two soda fountain/diners, Orange Julius, an early Jack in the Box, and Sally B's.

By the way, the brand is now owned by Dairy Queen. OJ became a fully-owned subsidiary of DQ in 1987. There are no more free-standing Orange Julius stores in the area (that I could find), but most of the newer DQs serve all the old Orange Julius products along with your Dilly Bar or dipped come.

Psst! Don't let it get around, but you can find the (supposedly) "original" Orange Julius recipe with a quick Google search. All it takes is a little orange juice concentrate, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and water (and a blender, of course).
bug
June 06, 2019 12:59PM
Got an Orange Julius from a Dairy Queen not too long ago, was not near as tasty as I remember.
June 06, 2019 03:25PM
bug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Got an Orange Julius from a Dairy Queen not too
> long ago, was not near as tasty as I remember.

Surely that didn't surprise you. It would not have surprised me. I believe the ingredients in the original Orange Julius were the same as a "dreamsicle," except the latter was frozen. I have seen recipes online when I was looking for Orange Julius to see if it was still extant. One ingredient that surprised me was egg white in the original, but not in modern recipes available online. I don't think there was any such thing as a "pasteurized" egg back in the day, but _Salmonella_ isn't anything new. Back then, we probably just didn't know what made us sick (raw egg).

Dave McNeely
June 08, 2019 08:25PM
I seem to recall one on Westmoreland. Just North of the Western Heights shopping center.
Google maps shows to be abbout the 1600 block of Westmoreland.

Paul
June 09, 2019 08:59AM
Dave McNeely

Little off-topic

I remember my maternal Grandfather downed a shot glass with a raw egg in it every morning (possibly with whiskey)
every morning. He wasn't a heavy drinker so it was probably for health purposes.
June 09, 2019 11:20AM
Frank Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dave McNeely
>
> Little off-topic
>
> I remember my maternal Grandfather downed a shot
> glass with a raw egg in it every morning (possibly
> with whiskey)
> every morning. He wasn't a heavy drinker so it was
> probably for health purposes.

I remember my older brother and his navy buddies breaking a raw egg into a glass and downing it for breakfast (no whiskey in the glass, or anything else) the morning after a heavy drinking night. That would have been in the early fifties, and the egg would have been from our own hens. USDA and CDC both state that _Salmonella_ is more a problem with eggs from private flocks than from large commercial producers, which are subject to government regulation. Don't know. I do like eggs from small, free ranged chicken flocks, with the deep yellow yolks due to the green plants they ingest.

Dave McNeely
June 16, 2019 01:25PM
I remember my grandmother making us what she called an "egg flip" for breakfast as a special treat occasionally. It consisted of freshly squeezed orange juice (we 'got to' squeeze our own juice) and a whole raw egg whipped with an egg beater. Yum. Aren't there still some cocktails made with egg whites? I saw an article recently about bartenders using "aqua faba" (liquid from a can of chickpeas) as a vegan substitute for egg whites because it whips into a nice foam. I guess even vegans like a good stiff cocktail every now and then.

Victoria Snyder Alvey
Re: raw egg
June 16, 2019 03:46PM
Most folks like Caesar salad. The dressing contains egg, and in the original, the egg was raw. In fact it was added separately to the salad from other dressing ingredients. Google Caesar salad to learn more. Interesting history for this Mexican treat. Yes, Mexican, but invented by an Italian immigrant to Mexico named Caesar. At least that's how the story goes.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login