Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lakewood Theater

Posted by Frank 
Lakewood Theater
June 02, 2019 11:28PM
I saw on the news tonight that the Lakewood would be reopening as a Bowling Alley of all things. I think it has been designated as a historic site so the outside and many of the decorations will be saved.
That's better than being razed altogether, but it still make me sad. My future wife and I had our first "date" there on a Saturday afternoon in the Summer of 1958 I was so nervous (scared) I didn't know how to act. Anyway I don't want to be too maudlin so I'll just say that I will post updates as I see them.
Re: Lakewood Theater
June 03, 2019 09:21AM
Frank, thanks for this, though it makes me sad, also. Saw quite a few movies at the old Lakewood, though none so important as yours. The Lakewood was a big deal for Long Jr. High students in the late fifties. Seems I recall that there was a Lakewood Lanes bowling alley back then, and that during final exams at Long, when we only had to be at school for our tests, some of us would go bowling, and one time we went to a movie at the theater, though I can't remember what we saw. I guess I thought the theater had already been repurposed. What happened to the old bowling alley?

Dave McNeely
bug
June 06, 2019 01:09PM
Teter's

June 09, 2019 08:41AM
Thanks bug

Looks like it was on Oram St.

"By the late 1960s, however, bowling leagues were mentioned less frequently in the local paper, and Lakewood Lanes, in the building that now houses Teeter’s Faucet Parts, is mentioned only in retrospectives after 1965."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login