Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lost Dallas

Posted by Frank 
Lost Dallas
March 18, 2019 07:26PM
Several references to "Lost Dallas" on the Phorum, but this is from D Magazine. It contains dozens of pictures of people and places in the Dallas area. Plus numerous anecdotes. I hope everyone finds this as interesting as I have.

[www.dmagazine.com]
Re: Lost Dallas
March 19, 2019 02:13AM
Everyone may know of this, but there's a pretty good Dallas History forum on Facebook. Just like here, you have to join. Unlike here, it's pretty active.
[www.facebook.com]
Re: Lost Dallas
March 19, 2019 09:38AM
Frank, thank you for posting this link to the article. Though the story itself is rather shallow, and the incidents are pretty generally known, the accompanying photographs are great.

Dave McNeely
Re: Lost Dallas
March 19, 2019 09:41AM
Ernie, it has been with sadness that I have watched this phorum dwindle in level of activity.

I am well aware that there is a Facebook parallel, but to participate there one has to accept Facebook as a legitimate means of communication and contribute to the harm that it is doing to society by one's participation. I'd rather not be a part of that.

Dave McNeely
Re: Lost Dallas
March 20, 2019 12:21PM
old man from dallas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ernie, it has been with sadness that I have
> watched this phorum dwindle in level of activity.
>
> I am well aware that there is a Facebook parallel,
> but to participate there one has to accept
> Facebook as a legitimate means of communication
> and contribute to the harm that it is doing to
> society by one's participation. I'd rather not be
> a part of that.

Dave, good for you, I wholeheartedly agree. The fact that they allow Russian hackers to post their BS aside, they also sell users' data to the highest bidder.
Re: Lost Dallas
March 21, 2019 03:23AM
To each his own, I guess. You're totally wrong about Facebook Dallas forum being a parallel to this. There are usually ten or fifteen posts (with pictures) a day there. Lucky to get that many in six months here.
Re: Lost Dallas
March 21, 2019 07:41AM
ernie5823 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To each his own, I guess. You're totally wrong
> about Facebook Dallas forum being a parallel to
> this. There are usually ten or fifteen posts (with
> pictures) a day there. Lucky to get that many in
> six months here.

By "parallel" I mean that it covers the same subject, Dallas history (and related matters).

Dave McNeely
Re: Lost Dallas
March 21, 2019 09:19AM
ernie5823 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To each his own, I guess. You're totally wrong
> about Facebook Dallas forum being a parallel to
> this. There are usually ten or fifteen posts (with
> pictures) a day there. Lucky to get that many in
> six months here.

It's not about the FB Dallas forum itself, it's about the FB platform's willingness to sell access to user's private info. And worst of all to allow Russian accounts to spread disinformation.

[www.bbc.com]

[www.foxnews.com]

As you say, "To each his own.", but I like to think I have enough computer savvy to avoid a platform like FB. If you feel safe exposing your computer to world-class hacking??????
Re: Lost Dallas
March 24, 2019 08:52AM
Shallow would be a good descriptor for DMagazine as a whole.

Paul
Re: Lost Dallas
March 24, 2019 09:07AM
I have always considered this forum to be a place for serious discussion of Dallas History. I follow the page posted above as well as the Dallas History Guild page. Both are great for posting photos, trivia and anecdotes about Dallas' history. But Facebook itself just isn't the place to discuss serious matters. Too many people there just looking for a reason to be offended.

This is probably also the reason this forum seems to be languishing. It isn't. However, this is a rather closed group of people who take the subject serious, don't mind a dissenting point of view and are not going to post something for the notoriety.

As for controlling my personal information, that's my responsibility. To that end FB has only what I want it to have and I do not use any of the 3rd party apps mentioned on the BBC article. If you aren't being sold to then you are what's being sold.

Paul
Re: Lost Dallas
March 24, 2019 07:32PM
Paul

Hope you don't think I'm being contentious, but you seemed to miss the point about the apps mentioned in the BBC reports. Whether you use them or not, others that do use them can access your private data. Sure you can limit what info you put on FB, but I'm not going to play Russian Roulette (pun intended) with my computer by logging on to a site known to be rife with hackers.

Frank
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login