Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Happy Holidays!

Happy Holidays!
December 24, 2018 07:08AM
I hope everyone has a great time with friends and family for these holidays.

If anyone can relate any community holiday traditions or significant events that took place at holiday time in Dallas in years past, please do so.

From mcneely, now living in eastern Washington, where December often involves skiing, snow shoeing, sledding, outdoor ice skating.

Dave McNeely
Re: Happy Holidays!
December 26, 2018 03:51PM
Dave

Sorry, I don't have anything to relate about family traditions. I would like to say that I wish I had not read your post about the winter "fun". As a kid, I always looked forward to the 1st ice or snow of the winter. But that would only last about
30 min and I would be through 'til the next year. I don't recall my exact age when anticipation turned to dread, But it has continued to this day. Just the thought of all that winter "fun" causes me to shiver. Even TX weather is not as mild as I would like, but that's just me. I suppose it's fortunate that some actually enjoy winter or the South would be full of "yanks".

Happy Holidays,
Frank
December 28, 2018 02:06PM
Well, Frank, in case you haven't noticed, lots of people from up north have are living in the South. In addition, Texas (which hasn't been a part of "the South" in decades) is teeming with them.

I always enjoyed winter weather when it visited Dallas when I was growing up (fifties, early sixties). Cold was great, snow was even greater. During my years at J.L. Long Jr. High School, I delivered the Dallas Times Herald to residences along Swiss Avenue, Live Oak, and Bryan Place, and also a couple of other routes. The frosty Sunday mornings were great. I also worked at Red Heart Watermelon Garden in summer, and the Christmas tree stand on the same property (Ross at Bryan/Greenville) in winter. Best business (and tips!) at the tree stand happened when it was cold, and absolute best when a few snowflakes were in the air.

So far as Christmas traditions back in the day, I loved the holiday decorations put up in shopping centers and along streets. My favorite "downtown" decorations occurred not in the canyons of the city center, though I really liked the retail establishments' efforts in that regard, but rather those along Jefferson in Oak Cliff.

mcneely

Dave McNeely
February 26, 2019 06:35PM
I know holidays are over now - but this reminded me of something. My dad worked for Chance Vought - and the holiday season for us always seemed to open with their annual Christmas Party, which, at least in the early 50s, was usually held at the music hall at Fair Park. There was some sort of musical show, and executives in suits would make what seemed like long, boring speeches, then they had gift booths set up for the kids.

Later on, maybe 59 or so, I remember they did a Christmas party at Fair Park at the recently finished arena there - where they had a circus... that was my first circus. I think it was during the day instead of at night.

A trip to Neiman's at either (or both) Preston Center and Downtown was usually part of the routine as well. I have an early memory of a toy department in the *basement* of Neimans Preston Center where they had a small model railroad set up... and a tiny stove that got hot... and one of those yellow italian crank-up music boxes.

Great times!
February 28, 2019 06:15AM
bparrish, thank you for your reply, and especially for helping to keep the phorum going. During much of the time period you mentioned my mother worked at Sanger-Harris (and Sanger Bros. before the merger with A. Harris). We didn't spend a lot of money in restaurants, and I know that she usually took her lunch to work in a brown paper sack from A&P. But every year, just a few days before Christmas, my sister and I would go downtown gift shopping and would meet my mother at the Sanger-Harris Tea Room for lunch. Not much of a special occasion for most people probably, but for us, it was a great privilege and a treat that was a part of Christmas. That was before the new store on Pacific was built. For any who don't know, the downtown Dallas County Community College has long occupied what was built and long operated as the Sanger Bros. Department Store, and later Sanger-Harris.

Dave McNeely
March 06, 2019 02:41PM
Before DCCC took that location over the original Tolbert's Texas Chili Parlor was located on the ground floor on the Elm Street side. Every Saturday night in 1976/77 they had a blues jam there and I used to sit in on bass for a set. Those sessions would go on all night and was not unusual for them to break up when the sun was rising on Sunday morning. Never had any trouble from the cops and they had to know they were going on because of the volume of the music. You never knew what famous act that was touring through Dallas that would show up post concert and sit in with us. Amazin' times!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login