Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Happy Holidays!

Happy Holidays!
December 24, 2018 07:08AM
I hope everyone has a great time with friends and family for these holidays.

If anyone can relate any community holiday traditions or significant events that took place at holiday time in Dallas in years past, please do so.

From mcneely, now living in eastern Washington, where December often involves skiing, snow shoeing, sledding, outdoor ice skating.

Dave McNeely
Re: Happy Holidays!
December 26, 2018 03:51PM
Dave

Sorry, I don't have anything to relate about family traditions. I would like to say that I wish I had not read your post about the winter "fun". As a kid, I always looked forward to the 1st ice or snow of the winter. But that would only last about
30 min and I would be through 'til the next year. I don't recall my exact age when anticipation turned to dread, But it has continued to this day. Just the thought of all that winter "fun" causes me to shiver. Even TX weather is not as mild as I would like, but that's just me. I suppose it's fortunate that some actually enjoy winter or the South would be full of "yanks".

Happy Holidays,
Frank
Re: Happy Holidays!
December 28, 2018 02:06PM
Well, Frank, in case you haven't noticed, lots of people from up north have are living in the South. In addition, Texas (which hasn't been a part of "the South" in decades) is teeming with them.

I always enjoyed winter weather when it visited Dallas when I was growing up (fifties, early sixties). Cold was great, snow was even greater. During my years at J.L. Long Jr. High School, I delivered the Dallas Times Herald to residences along Swiss Avenue, Live Oak, and Bryan Place, and also a couple of other routes. The frosty Sunday mornings were great. I also worked at Red Heart Watermelon Garden in summer, and the Christmas tree stand on the same property (Ross at Bryan/Greenville) in winter. Best business (and tips!) at the tree stand happened when it was cold, and absolute best when a few snowflakes were in the air.

So far as Christmas traditions back in the day, I loved the holiday decorations put up in shopping centers and along streets. My favorite "downtown" decorations occurred not in the canyons of the city center, though I really liked the retail establishments' efforts in that regard, but rather those along Jefferson in Oak Cliff.

mcneely

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login