Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wheatland-DeSoto Road

Posted by sejohnso 
Wheatland-DeSoto Road
November 28, 2018 02:25PM
If someone lived on the Wheatland-DeSoto Road in 1932 what would be the name of that road today. Is that Wheatland Road?

Steve
Re: Wheatland-DeSoto Road
November 28, 2018 09:58PM
Hampton Road. It runs pretty much arrow straight due south from the Trinity River to the Dallas - Ellis county line. The alignment was the prime meridian of the Peters Colony survey established in 1841. On the 1900 Sam Street Map of Dallas County it is shown as a continuous wagon road.

The Hampton name began on the north end, part of an early 20th century residential development, and gradually extended southward as new areas were annexed by the City of Dallas and as the older cities became more developed. My 1940 county road map shows the Hampton name the entire route.

In the interim the road name depended on your location and direction, Going south from Dallas it was the Wheatland Road. If you were in Wheatland going south it would be the Desoto Road. In Desoto going north the Wheatland Road. When we lived at Hampton and Red Bird Lane in the early 1950s the road was officially named Hampton but still called the Wheatland Road as it led directly to the Wheatland School I attended.

I believe the only currently signed Wheatland Road runs east-west and was formerly part of the Duncanville - Wheatland Road and Lancaster - Wheatland Rod between those towns. Not much remains of old Wheatland except the Methodist Church, Cemetery and ca 1952 brick schoolhouse, now private. The frame building I attended was burned to the ground after I left by a former schoolmate.
November 29, 2018 09:07AM
MC

I got a laugh from your last line. Probably not the first nor last revenge taken by a disgruntled former student.

Frank

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2018 09:08AM by Frank.
November 29, 2018 10:16AM
Frank Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MC
>
> I got a laugh from your last line. Probably not
> the first nor last revenge taken by a disgruntled
> former student.
>
> Frank

The fire was May 1953 and a 15 year old confessed in July saying, "The bigger boys dared him and he was chicken." The Fire Marshall said, "What puzzles me is who these bigger boys were. The 15 year old was a head taller than I am."
November 29, 2018 03:59PM
M C Toyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Frank Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > MC
> >
> > I got a laugh from your last line. Probably not
> > the first nor last revenge taken by a
> disgruntled
> > former student.
> >
> > Frank
>
> The fire was May 1953 and a 15 year old confessed
> in July saying, "The bigger boys dared him and he
> was chicken." The Fire Marshall said, "What
> puzzles me is who these bigger boys were. The 15
> year old was a head taller than I am."

MC

As I recall, as a teen the term "big" was more about age than size. I remember my mother saying "don't rough-house with the big boys", which I took to mean older boys as I was large myself. Fully grown, slightly over 6'6" and 220 lbs.
On the other hand, maybe he was just using the SODDI defense.

Happy Holidays MC,
Frank

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2018 04:01PM by Frank.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login