Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bennett's, An Auto Dealership

Posted by dbell 
Bennett's, An Auto Dealership
October 26, 2018 12:10PM
I think it was around 1973 that I went to an auto dealership at 1829 Corsicana in Dallas to get an autograph when Burford Pusser was there one evening. Does anyone remember what makes of cars they sold? I can't seem to find any information on them. His autograph is on a piece of notepad they had provided to him. The logo just says "Bennett's" then in a separate block "Service 70's" and there is a hopping bunny rabbit in the lower right-hand corner.
Re: Bennett's, An Auto Dealership
October 26, 2018 04:12PM
Not aware of any dealerships named Bennett in that era but possibly a used car lot.

Bennett's Printing Company was located at 1829 Corsicana Street from the 1920s through at least 1980, now a vacant lot, so probably the notepad was from them.

There had been a succession of Chevrolet dealerships; McColister / Calhoun / Steakley, a block away at 901 South Ervay @ Cadiz from the 1930s through 1962 when Steakley purchased Calhoun. Steakley moved its new car operations to Northwest Highway @ Abrams the following year but kept its truck and used car operations in downtown Dallas but I do not know for how long. Perhaps they still had ownership of property nearby.
Re: Bennett's, An Auto Dealership
October 26, 2018 11:30PM
dbell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it was around 1973 that I went to an auto
> dealership at 1829 Corsicana in Dallas to get an
> autograph when Burford Pusser was there one
> evening. Does anyone remember what makes of cars
> they sold? I can't seem to find any information
> on them. His autograph is on a piece of notepad
> they had provided to him. The logo just says
> "Bennett's" then in a separate block "Service
> 70's" and there is a hopping bunny rabbit in the
> lower right-hand corner.

Found an obituary for Melba I. Daniel that mentions that Bennett's Printing Company was aka Sammons Corporation
"One of her greatest loves for working for Bennett Printing Company (a/k/a Sammons Corporation) where she served as the manager/director of collections (a "man's" job at the time) but was loved and respected by the president as well as the other officers of Bennett. She retired in 1978."

[obits.dallasnews.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login