Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dallas Bowling Alleys

Posted by DallasCop2566 
Dallas Bowling Alleys
October 24, 2018 01:49AM
I realize I do not get out much and was just thinking of all the bowling alleys that were in the City of Dallas and was just wondering if any still existed.

I recall the Hart Bowling Alley on West Northwest Highway, Jupiter Bowling Alley on Jupiter Road near East Northwest Highway, Buckner Bowling Alley on South Bucker Boulevard near Elam Road, Big Town Bowling Alley just inside the Mesquite City Limits on Samuell Boulevard and the Bronco Bowling Alley on Fort Worth Avenue.

I am sure I have missed several, probably in the Oak Cliff area.

I do not believe any of these are still active, just wondering if there are any active bowling alleys in Dallas.

I trained a rookie cop back in the mid seventies that was an very good bowler, quit several years after hiring on and became a professional. I saw him on several televised tournaments, mostly from Las Vegas in the early eighties, but they quit televising bowling. Most were on the Wide World of Sports. Always wondered if he was successful, if not he did have something to fall back on, he was a very good officer and learned fast.

I am not completely useless, I can always be used as a bad example.
Re: Dallas Bowling Alleys
October 24, 2018 06:26AM
Edit: Corrected Mockingbird to Lemmon

I remember the Cotton Bowling Palace @ Inwood & Lemmon. One in Oak Cliff a couple of blocks East of Zang on Jefferson. Both dens of iniquity. LOL

Oak Cliff also had a famous Texas Bowling Hall of Fame bowler, Eddie Brickell, Edie Brickell's father, known as the "Fort Worth Southpaw". I knew him when he was a DMN home delivery manager. I don't recall if or when he moved to Fort Worth.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2018 05:45AM by Frank.
October 24, 2018 07:33AM
Frank Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember the Cotton Bowling Palace @ Inwood &
> Mockingbird. One in Oak Cliff a couple of blocks
> East of Zang on Jefferson. Both dens of iniquity.
> LOL
>
> Oak Cliff also had a famous Texas Bowling Hall of
> Fame bowler, Eddie Brickell, Edie Brickell's
> father, known as the "Fort Worth Southpaw". I knew
> him when he was a DMN home delivery manager. I
> don't recall if or when he moved to Fort Worth.

Other than the Bronco Bowl, the other giant bowlinig emporium in Oak Cliff was Saner Bowl near the Beckley-Zangs wye. It frequently hosted major statewide competitions. The "den of iniquity" on Jefferson was, iirc, Texas Bowling Lanes, or a name something like that. Did a fair amount of my early bowling there. It was a pretty old place, probably dating to pre WWII, when I was bowling there in the early sixties, and it had a distinctive smell that I have associated with bowling alleys since first encountering it at an alley in the small oil patch town of Monohans where my aunt lived and bowled when I was a small child. Probably a mixture of the oil and wax used on the lanes, and the sweat of the bowlers. A bowling ball itself had the odor also.

Dave McNeely
October 24, 2018 03:55PM
Ahhhh Yes,,Hart Bowl, across the street from Bachman Lake.The street was North West Highway.
Last time I was there was in 1960, just before Graduation from Texas A&M, and entering the US Army as a 2nd Lt.
Used to visit the Bluff View sub-division, as I had a girlfriend there and we swam naked in the springs there.
October 28, 2018 07:57PM
Jack and Jill was close to Garland Road and Peavy and was a couple of miles south of Jupiter Lanes. The building for Jupiter Lanes is still there.
October 29, 2018 08:22AM
This is a correction to my earlier post. The Cotton Bowling Palace was @ Inwood & LEMMON, not Mockingbird.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login