Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dallas Municipal Farm (penal farm) near White Rock Lake

Posted by davidorr 
Dallas Municipal Farm (penal farm) near White Rock Lake
July 31, 2018 12:27PM
Hello,

I'm looking for information on the old "Dallas Municipal Farm," which was a city penal farm which operated in the late 1920s through at least the early 1930s on land near the southwest portion of White Rock Lake, more or less west of the dam. The location is approximate, based on my limited research. This farm was also known colloquially as the "Pea Patch." It was operated by my great-grandfather and great-grandmother, Capt. John T. Luther and Julia Abbott Luther, from about 1924-1932. When he died around 1927, she took over the operation of it, therefore making her a pioneer of sorts of women in the corrections business.

Presumably it was on land owned by the city of Dallas, as it was called the Dallas Municipal Farm. I haven't verified this. It would probably require a search of official land records, and I live in another city.

I am trying to learn more about the history of the farm, and of my great-grandparents' operation of it. Any leads would be most appreciated.

David Orr
Austin
Re: Dallas Municipal Farm (penal farm) near White Rock Lake
August 01, 2018 12:27AM
White Rock Lake historical marker on Garland Rd close to the spillway mentions the penal farm near the bottom of first paragraph.

[www.flickr.com]

Click on pic to enlarge

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 05:00AM by Frank.
August 03, 2018 12:08PM
This page shows a small picture of the brick building where prisoners were housed. Plus some additional info.

[www.watermelon-kid.com]
August 06, 2018 05:53AM
The White Rock Lake area also housed a POW camp for captured German soldiers. The Handbook of Texas Online has details.

I apologize for not providing the links, but I'm having PC problems right now. Just Google, scroll down and the do a search and you should find info about the POWs at White Rock Lake.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login