Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

early Dallas High School

early Dallas High School
July 18, 2018 10:08PM
N.R. Crosier Technical High School on Ross Ave, long closed and now no longer a DISD building has borne two other names in its history, I believe. It was first Dallas High School, and then J.N. Bryan High School before taking on its last name, if I am not mistaken.

I am sure that Dallas had a high school before that one. Where was it? How many buildings and locations did it occupy before the Ross Avenue iteration?

Thanks in advance

Dave McNeely
Re: early Dallas High School
July 22, 2018 08:51PM
The answers to your questions can be found in the article titled Old Dallas High School at the website listed below. The article is in the Landmarks of Dallas History section. I would repeat the information, but it is copyrighted. I don’t want to take credit for the research done by Steven Butler, Ph.D, a Dallas historian.

[www.watermelon-kid.com]
July 23, 2018 04:07PM
Marilyn, thank you. Now I'd like to know why I thought the school was on Ross Ave. Though I realize I was wrong, and even remember now that it is on Bryan, for some reason I distinctly remember it being on Ross, and passing it regularly on the bus on that route. Oh well, memory is a strange thing, especially for us oldsters.

Dave McNeely
August 06, 2018 06:44AM
I went to Crozier Tech three Summers in a row (after 9th,10th and 11th grades), where I made A or B for the classes I flunked previously. The teachers were much better at teaching their subjects than those I'd had before. The large windows would be open and the cool morning breeze would carry throughout the classrooms and hallways.

Was really sorry to see the old school shut down, but the renovation has retained a lot of the character.
August 06, 2018 09:35AM
The ROTC Armory for all of Dallas County schools was in Crozier Tech. Had to go there many times to check out weapons for the Summer training at Camp Dallas up at Mineral Wells.
August 06, 2018 09:52AM
mrchuck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The ROTC Armory for all of Dallas County schools
> was in Crozier Tech. Had to go there many times to
> check out weapons for the Summer training at Camp
> Dallas up at Mineral Wells.

Hmmmm....... .

I attended Justin F. Kimball High School 1960-1963, where I was in the National Defense Cadet Corps (NDCC), an analog of the JrROTC. I don't know the difference in legal terms between the two organizations, but I do know that the NDCC ("Indecency" as it was sometimes referred to) by other students cadets had to buy their own uniforms. We had only one instructor, also, Major Harmon White, whereas I believe that ROTC had an officer and a couple of non-commissioned officers. I have heard that Kimball later had ROTC, with then Colonel White as instructor.

We definitely had an armory with M1 rifles (never any ammunition, maybe plugged), and .22 rifles for use on the firing range, which was in the school basement. Adamson H.S. had an armory also, and on more than one occasion I saw ROTC cadets there in formation on the school grounds carrying M1 rifles.

Dave McNeely
August 06, 2018 10:17AM
The Armory at Highland Park in 1956 was impressive. I was an ROTC Company Commander when I was a senior(Captain).
Racks of M1 Garands, racks of M1 Carbines, several Browning BAR's, and a foot locker of .45 auto's.
We were taught the manual of arms of all, and each summer attended Camp Dallas at Mineral Wells Army Camp Roberts, aka Camp Dallas ROTC. The .22 rifle range was also next to us in the basement. Our Rifle team won many awards.
That training helped me immensely when I went to Texas A&M in Sept 1956 thru graduation in 1960 and into the US Army as a 2nd LT and sent overseas to Viet-Nam with the MACV-SOG to eliminat the NVA and VC on the Cambodian Border.
When I now attend a gunshow, I fondly still feel comfortable handling weapons I used as designed, to keep our freedoms.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login