Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Martin Weiss Park

Posted by Marilyn Kosanke 
Martin Weiss Park
July 01, 2018 11:41AM
David McNeely asked about the man who Martin Weiss Park was named for.

Martin Weiss was born in Hungary. He came to Dallas in 1911 when he was 46 years old. He lived to be 92 years old. He was a successful businessman and realtor. He owned Milliners Supply Company at 911 Elm Street. Martin Weiss was also a civic leader and philanthropist. According to the Dallas Morning News “During his lifetime his civic charities included land for the Martin Weiss Park in Oak Cliff and money for the community house (recreation center) built in the park.”
Re: Martin Weiss Park
July 01, 2018 06:26PM
Thank you Marilyn. A very fine, generous person, evidently. Sounds like he wanted to give to the city that he was successful in .

Dave McNeely
July 10, 2018 05:39AM
When a Cub Scout, our Den and parents would often have picnics there. We would save bits of our "weenies" and tie string around them so we could catch crawdads in Coombs Creek.

When about 10, I'd ride my bike a couple of miles to the park and be there when the pool opened. Temps in the Summers back then were typically 100*+. Had to be home by noon to call Mom at work so she would know I was safe and would cool down in the house with the "swamp pump" cooling.

Vanity... When an 11 y/o Cub Scout, our Den played the local Boy Scout troop (where we would soon go into) in a night baseball game at Weiss Park. Everyone's parents were there. .....Bottom of 9th inning and we Cubs were ahead by a run. Boy Scouts loaded the bases with no outs. .....I was playing third base and the batter hit a line drive right at me. I jumped up and caught it (1 out) , came down with my foot on the base (2 outs) and then tagged the runner coming from 2nd base.

That was a single-handed triple play! We won the game! ......Boosted my self esteem tremendously and helped me to know that I could overcome hurdles in later life.
July 12, 2018 10:15AM
Fred, wow! Congratulations on making the rarest play in baseball. According to the Wickipedia article on the unassisted triple play, it has been accomplished only 15 times ever in the major leagues, and never at third base. To have the presence of mind to complete all the steps necessary at age 11 is more than amazing.

Your Cub den must have had better than average athletes to beat the older boys. Congratulations on that, too, all these years later.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login