Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

park names

park names
June 12, 2018 11:30AM
Back in the day, I used to frequent both Martin Weiss Park in Oak Cliff (W Clarendon) and Tietse Park in near NE Dallas (Skillman Avenue).

Does anyone know for whom these two parks were named? Both are very similar in facilities and layout, though Weisse, with Coombes Creek (usually dry nowadays in this stretch) running through has more topographic and natural conditions than does Tietse. Perhaps they were named for parks commissioners or mayors?

Dave McNeely

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 01:47PM by old man from dallas.
Re: park names
June 12, 2018 01:48PM
Dave---

A Tietse Park entry in Paula Bosse's wonderful Flashback blog led me to a "Friends of Tietse Park" website. According to the Friends:

Tietze Park, a 9-acre gem in East Dallas (located on Skillman Avenue between Llano and Vanderbilt Streets), was acquired in 1924 by the City of Dallas, when it was on the northeast fringe of town. First known as Keith Park, it was renamed Tietze Park ten years later, after W.R. Tietze, who was Superintendent of Parks for the city from 1896-1933. Mr. Tietze was a floriculturalist, who studied under Henry Shaw in St. Louis, philanthropist and founder of the Missouri Botanical Gardens. ‚Äč

There's much more at [www.tietzepark.org]
June 13, 2018 12:19PM
Thank you, RWilliams.

Dave

Dave McNeely
June 15, 2018 06:36PM
My brother who is six years older than me always referred to Tietze Park as Llano Park.
June 15, 2018 10:28PM
ratfink23T Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My brother who is six years older than me always
> referred to Tietze Park as Llano Park.

Probably because of its location. The web site referenced above mentions an earlier name, but not "Llano." However, Llano Street borders it, and I have heard the neighborhood surrounding it referred to by that name.

Dave McNeely
June 19, 2018 02:06PM
In the '60s and early '70s we lived on the Abrams end of Vickery, just two blocks up from Tietze Park. I remember riding my bike through the park, and there was a low area in the southeast corner, with bois d'arc trees growing there.
June 19, 2018 06:59PM
In 1959 I had a DTH delivery route on Bryan Parkway, Live Oak, Swiss. That summer I arranged my delivery so that I ended up at the Skillman-Live Oak area, and walked or rode my bicycle on up to Tietze Park for a swim a couple of afternoons each week. Quite refreshing after the hot walk or bike ride delivering the papers.

That summer there was a boy, I never knew his name, who had a large bag of baseballs, maybe fifty of them, at the park almost every afternoon. He would recruit other boys to bat, and he would pitch to them on the baseball field. He fancied himself quite the pitcher, and was keeping in practice for team play. He once confided to me that he expected to be a major league pitcher eventually. I never saw him after that summer, and don't know what became of him. Despite being a poor athlete, I could hit his pitching, while a lot of others could not. He really bore down on me, though, and eventually I couldn't hit anything from him.

Dave McNeely
July 03, 2018 10:18AM
My mom also called it Llano Park. We lived in walking distance the first 18 months of my life in the mid-1950s.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login