Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

B17 Crash of April 29, 1943 Hampton Airport

Posted by DallasCop2566 
B17 Crash of April 29, 1943 Hampton Airport
April 13, 2018 04:55AM
I was just reading a Dallas Morning News article published on April 30, 1943 regarding the crash of a B17 Bomber at Hampton Airport.

I was always of the impression the forced landing, a more correct description of the incident, occurred in the northern most area of Kiest Park but now found it did occur at an airport reported as Hampton Airport.

Anybody have knowledge as to exactly where this airport was located in 1943.? The article also informed of the planes name, "Susie Q".

The article described a fire in an engine forcing the emergency landing and went on to state the aircraft was in addition to it's normal crew was transporting a baseball team to Waco.

It also described the path of the aircraft as flying directly over Sunset High School where numerous witnesses observed the fire in an engine.

I located a 1942 Map of Oak Cliff, but it does not show any airport located in the area of West Illinois Avenue and South Hampton Road.

I am not completely useless, I can always be used as a bad example.
Re: B17 Crash of April 29, 1943 Hampton Airport
April 13, 2018 05:27AM
There have been several posts related to this in the past. IIRC it was Red Bird Airport at that time . Search the archives and you should find a trail. Hopefully some with a better memory will be along today to better focus.
April 13, 2018 05:36AM
I found that the airport was renamed Clearview Airport and it was located at the southeast corner of South Hampton Road and West Illinois Avenue. I remember a roadway named Clearview Circle in the area, apparently named for the airport. I also found a notation that the continuation of Montreal Avenue south of Illinois Avenue is more less built directly on the main runway of the airport.

Looking at a modern map, there is no indication remaining of the airport, all houses and roadways.

I am not completely useless, I can always be used as a bad example.
April 13, 2018 08:33AM
The Airfields-Freeman Web site (run by Paul Freeman) is a great resource for abandoned airfields. They have a a history of Hampton/Clearview Airport on the Dallas - Western area page:

[www.airfields-freeman.com]

The airport was torn down in 1948-49 for new housing construction. Part of the street Montreal Avenue follows the alignment of the single runway.

If you have anything to contribute to the article, you can email the information to Paul Freeman. I've sent him some information in the past on a couple of Dallas area airports.
April 13, 2018 11:18AM
I also found this record of the crash on the Aviation Safety Network site (ASN), my go-to site for aviation accidents. It's on their Wikibase, a database that can be edited by readers:

[aviation-safety.net]

If you feel like taking the time, you can add to the record with information from the DMN article (and a link). You just add a username and email address when editing the record. I don't know whether it makes you sign up and add a password after clicking Submit, as I haven't edited anything there before.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login