Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Railway going north out of Dallas.

Posted by jgoodman 
Railway going north out of Dallas.
April 12, 2018 08:17AM
I just read a post about the MKT railroad in the area of Colbert OK. Since there are some RR savvy people on this forum,I would like to know the RR line that would go from Dallas to Madill OK. When I was young(10-12yo) I would spend 1-2 weeks in the Summer with my grandparents in Madill. I took the train at night about 10pm and my grandpa picked me up at the station. This was in the early 50s. As it was dark, I couldn't make out the towns along the way, but I think one was Sherman I suppose it crossed the Red River north of Pottsboro. Where it went beyond Madill I don't know. I presume all the way to OKC. Maybe it was a spur from MKT. I guess Union Pacific has that track now. I took the train at Grand Central station here in Dallas. That was so long ago. Next to my grandparents house-not more than 50yds-was an east to west track that was fairly busy during the day. It may have gone to Ardmore. That track had been dug up as of 1969 when I was there for my grandma's funeral. Jim
Re: Railway going north out of Dallas.
April 12, 2018 03:29PM
BNSF Madill Subdivision. Originally Frisco

Where was your grandparent's house?
April 13, 2018 07:54AM
The Frisco (now BNSF) crossed the Red River north of Denison on the MKT (now UP) bridge then turned northwest to Madill. The line between Red River and Madill was moved north and rebuilt during the construction of Lake Texoma.

From Madill north the Frisco / BNSF runs to Tulsa. The west spur went to Ardmore.

The Frisco route north from Dallas would have been via the MKT line to Carrollton, then via the Frisco line through Frisco, Prosper, Celina, Gunter, Dorchester, Sherman and Denison

M C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2018 08:32AM by M C Toyer.
April 13, 2018 11:00AM
My grandparents lived in Madill. It is in Marshall Co. just west of Durant. Driving west on hwy. 70, you cross an arm of Texoma and you reach Kingston. Madill is just to the north. Jim
April 13, 2018 11:02AM
My grandparent's home was at 208 N.8th a half a mile north of Lilly Blvd. Jim
April 13, 2018 11:32AM
jgoodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My grandparent's home was at 208 N.8th a half a
> mile north of Lilly Blvd. Jim

Jim, was that 208 N. 8th Avenue? I was looking on Google Maps, and it looks like maybe a mobile home is on that lot now, overgrown with bushes and trees, the Street View. In the aerial view, the lot is empty.

There's also a 208 N. 8th Street in Madill, but it's on the east side of town.
April 13, 2018 04:54PM
Perhaps it was an Avenue. My grandpa using his bare hands with help from my younger uncles that were not called up for WW2, built a newer house to the south in 1945 using tan brick.. The old wooden "homestead" burned down in the 60s or 70s so now there is a vacant lot. I remember in the 50s he leased or sold the old house to the north to some folks named Turbefield. They had a son named Mark who I hung out with as he was my age. Jim
May 05, 2018 09:05AM
M C Toyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Frisco (now BNSF) crossed the Red River north
> of Denison on the MKT (now UP) bridge then turned
> northwest to Madill. The line between Red River
> and Madill was moved north and rebuilt during the
> construction of Lake Texoma.
>
> From Madill north the Frisco / BNSF runs to Tulsa.
> The west spur went to Ardmore.
>
> The Frisco route north from Dallas would have been
> via the MKT line to Carrollton, then via the
> Frisco line through Frisco, Prosper, Celina,
> Gunter, Dorchester, Sherman and Denison
>
> M C

While I hate to question the great M C Toyer, this does not make sense. The Frisco line (now BNSF Madill Sub) started at the Rock Island (now TRE) line in Irving, and crossed over the MKT (now DGNO-DART) at Carrollton.
May 05, 2018 07:01PM
Brian

Tis what happens when I write from a fading memory.

I was thinking the train would have been the Texas Special jointly operated by the MKT and Frisco. I believe it ran over the Frisco tracks between St Louis to Vinita OK then the MKT tracks via Denison and Dallas between Vinita OK and San Antonio and assuming the route from Dallas ran over the MKT to Denton via Carrollton. I now understand the Texas Special used the MKT tracks from Dallas via Greenville to Denison.

This scenario would necessitate a change of train at Denison to the northbound SLSF to Madill and Ardmore rather than a change from the MKT to the SLSF at Carrollton.

The closest reference I have is an unofficial 1954 Railroad Map of Dallas County showing all Railroad lines. The map shows the line between Irving and Carrollton as the spur of the Rock Island. I have seen more recent references to that line being the Frisco (in fact I think I took a photo of the Elm Fork Bridge which was signed SLSF. The map narrative states the Frisco, Burlington and L&A use other railroads' tracks to bring their trains into Dallas County.

I will e-mail the map.

Here is a 1957 timetable for the Texas Special.

Texas Special

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2018 11:28AM by M C Toyer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login