Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Johnny Clemens Hobby Shop

Johnny Clemens Hobby Shop
April 04, 2018 10:01PM
There was an extensive discussion of hobby shops in 2012:

[phorum.dallashistory.org]

In commentary regarding Greenville Ave that evolved from Dallas Cop's descriptions of tragic incidences he encountered as a Dallas policeman, Johnny Clemen's Hobby Counter on Greenville Ave came up. Several mentioned that the shop was relocated several times, migrating along Greenville, and crossing the street. When my family lived on Alta Street just off Greenville Ave in 1957-1958 the shop was in the same block as the Arcadia Theater, and on the same side of the street.

Dave McNeely
Re: Johnny Clemens Hobby Shop
April 05, 2018 12:37PM
Dave, for awhile there was also a Crown Toy & Hobbies close by, on the corner of Greenville and Bell (IIRC), in the block with the Arcadia. This would have been in the late '60s/early '70s. By then, the Hobby Counter was at 1905 Greenville, close to Alta, near the Greenville Avenue State Bank. Ward's Drug was at 1915.
Re: Johnny Clemens Hobby Shop
April 05, 2018 01:52PM
sharkins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dave, for awhile there was also a Crown Toy &
> Hobbies close by, on the corner of Greenville and
> Bell (IIRC), in the block with the Arcadia. This
> would have been in the late '60s/early '70s. By
> then, the Hobby Counter was at 1905 Greenville,
> close to Alta, near the Greenville Avenue State
> Bank. Ward's Drug was at 1915.

The Hobby Counter that I remember from 1957-1958 would have been at the location you quoted for the late 60s, in the same block as the theater and Ward's Drug Store, as I stated before. I lived on Alta, just W of Greenville, and used to walk around the corner to visit that hobby shop, as well as the coin shop in the same block. I also shopped at Ward's and the small grocer's that was there in the same block and on the same side of the street. A few times I also walked around the corner to the theater.

That winter there was a flu epidemic, and at one time everyone in my house except me was sick with the flu. Ward's Drug Store provided all the medicines that the family used for that.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login