Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile


One of the Most Sad Incidents

Posted by DallasCop2566 
Re: One of the Most Sad Incidents
April 03, 2018 03:24PM
One of my memories of the Greenville Avenue, Ross Avenue area was Robert Hall Mens Clothing.

When first assigned to a plain clothes assignment, I had to buy a suit and this being an unexpected expense, paid a visit to Robert Hall. If I recall correctly $32.95 for a suit and it even came with a vest. Soon bought a few pair of slacks and a couple of sports coats as wearing that one suit everyday did not work out well.

I also recall a Beer Lounge, Ship's Lounge at 1613 Greenville Avenue. It was in the small shopping area next to where Sammy's Terrace Restaurant was previously located at 1601 Greenville Avenue. NEVER received a call there, something very unusual for the area bars, mostly drunks refusing to leave or fights. I stopped in a few times when off duty and met the owner, Jack Prewett. He and his girl friend Lanore Straubing ran a tight ship. Jack was ex Navy and just a nice guy. Most of his customers were employees of Sears Roebuck and other area businesses. Kind of a neighborhood bar atmosphere.

While in Oklahoma City at my grandmother's funeral in May 1979, I learned that Lanore stabbed and killed Jack, then took her own life by a gunshot . Jack had a daughter from a previous marriage and she and her husband took over operation and if I recall correctly finally hired a manager to operate it. It is still in business, again something very unusual for bars in the area.

I am not completely useless, I can always be used as a bad example.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2018 04:36AM by DallasCop2566.
Re: One of the Most Sad Incidents
April 03, 2018 05:11PM
jgoodman Wrote:
> When downtown Dallas was laid out long ago, why
> weren't the streets (Main, Commerce, and Elm)
> directed due east-west instead of
> northeast-southwest? Jim

I thought that was covered above. JN Bryan laid out those streets, and set them perpendicular to the approximate ESE direction of the Trinity River channel.

Dave McNeely
Re: One of the Most Sad Incidents
April 03, 2018 05:16PM
Cop, Ship's Lounge has been discussed here before on multiple threads. A search should turn them up. I recall something about remodeling and some controversy over the change in doors with said remodel. The owners/operators who later had troubles have been commended as being really nice folks.

Robert Hall made it possible for me to have dress clothes to wear when called for or wanted as a kid. I could wear a coat and tie to a movie or dance for a date. Wouldn't have been able to do that if the clothes had had to come from more expensive places.

Dave McNeely

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 05:18PM by old man from dallas.
Re: One of the Most Sad Incidents
April 18, 2018 01:30PM
Dallas Cop 2566,,,really enjoy you posts immensely, as I was born in 1938 and raised in Highland Park. I know just about all the places you mention in your very entertaining posts.
Stite's Garage on Greenville was where we took all our cars to get repaired.
Sear's and Roebuck down Greenville was our major shopping store.
When I graduated from Highland Park High in 1956, then to A&M graduating in 1960, then to war in South East Asia, then settled down in California, I hardly ever made it back to Dallas.
I do remember a lot of "events" we teenagers did. Our family and the Bookhout family on Swiss Ave merged thru marriages.
Rarely do I get into Dallas these days, as we live in Gun Barrel City, TX.
Re: One of the Most Sad Incidents
April 18, 2018 02:10PM

You mention some of the things we teenagers did which brings to mind high school graduation night sometime in the early seventies. There were high school graduations being conducted at several venues within Dallas, one of the largest was being held at the Convention Center.

I went on duty at 10:00 p.m. and was immediately assigned an accident investigation at Young Street and Akard Street. When I arrived there was traffic everywhere as the graduation ceremony was over and all were leaving. I had to use two wreckers and it took them a long time to get to the scene due to the traffic. They did however finally arrive and I cleared the intersection and after a few minutes the traffic cleared.

I departed the scene and informed the dispatcher that I was available and he immediately assigned me to an unknown street blockage at northbound Stemmons Freeway (IH35E) between Continental Avenue and Oak Lawn Avenue.

I checked en route and just as I crossed over Commerce Street/Main Street/Elm Street, the northbound traffic was completely stopped. Using the shoulder and red lights and siren I continued and after a slow response weaving in and out of traffic I arrive and see a wall of bubbles completely across the six lanes of freeway and entering the southbound side.

The wall of bubbles was over six feet tall and was growing rapidly both in height and distance. Then I realized we were directly below the famous water flowing billboard, which if I recall was advertising Pearl Beer at that time. I looked towards the billboard and saw that was the source of the wall of bubbles.

Big mistake now, called for two fire engines thinking they could wash away the suds, WRONG, they arrived and began spraying the wall only to find it really began growing, getting higher and crossing the southbound lanes now. Had to call for additional police elements to block southbound now. When they dispatched the three additional police units, they also dispatched a Patrol Sergeant. When her arrived I asked him to go to the top of Goat Hill using the entrance off of Harry Hines Boulevard and see if there is anything we can do to stop the suds.

About fifteen minutes later I hear him calling me on the radio. I answer and he informs me there is an empty 55 gallon drum which has HAND SOAP stenciled on it. He also tells me he is attempting to find someway to turn off the pumps and has Dallas Power and Light en route to see if they can cut the power.

About twenty minutes later he calls again and informs me Dallas Power and Light has cut the power to the billboard, so the suds should stop. He also informed me that the billboard owner had been notified and requested to the scene.

I had been away from the suds battle for a few minutes and the firefighters are still trying to dissolve the wall, but they have found they can push it lowering the hose pressure and using a spray instead of a stream. They order three more engines for the southbound side and a Battalion Chief to oversee the operation.

It took just over three hours to finally get the remaining suds forced off the roadway into the grass areas bordering the freeway. I will say the roadway was nice and clean in the area.

It was later discovered the hand soap was stolen from a loading dock at a printing company. Those responsible were never identified and each graduation night thereafter I just hoped there would not be a re-occurrence.

The restaurant and club constructed on Goat Hill opened soon after and that curtailed access to the billboard somewhat.

I am not completely useless, I can always be used as a bad example.
Re: One of the Most Sad Incidents
April 18, 2018 10:26PM
Regarding the hand soap in the Pearl waterfall. . . uh-h-h-h. . . how do things stand as far as the statute of limitations?
Re: One of the Most Sad Incidents
April 19, 2018 02:44AM
RWilliams: Seven years, long and I mean long past prosecution.

I mentioned this posting to one of the officers I worked with and he told me the next year on Halloween and graduation night they assigned a unit to make sure this didn't occur again.

Reminds me of another caper involving graduation night. A few years after the "SUDS CAPER", I was dispatched to Beckley Avenue and Jefferson Boulevard on an accident involving a City of Dallas Water Department Vehicle. Arrived and found a D.W.I. had collided into the rear of the city vehicle as he was stopped at a red light. We had a special unit for D.W.I. Enforcement, so I called for one and he took custody of the offender and I was able to clear the scene and get back in service.

I was driving west on Jefferson Boulevard and a man flagged me down at Bishop Avenue. He was a janitor for a store located there and when he arrived to clean the store he noticed all the parking meters were missing from their pole in the entire block.

I looked at one of the bare poles and could tell the meter had been removed with a pipe cutter. I called for two additional units and asked that they not arrive on Jefferson Boulevard, to come in on Bishop Avenue.

I also called for an officer in an unmarked vehicle and they sent a Lieutenant. Informed him what we had and he took off his white police cap and slumped down in the seat and drove west on Jefferson Boulevard. He called and informed us the meters were missing from the next two blocks west, but they were in place from VanBuren Avenue on west.

I left the matter to the Patrol Units and Lieutenant and returned to my accident investigation assignment.

About three hours later I was told to call the jail and ask for Unit 414. I called and the officer informed me they parked their marked vehicles at the fire station at West Twelfth Street and Polk Street and walked to Jefferson Boulevard. They watched for several minutes and observed a white van driving slowly west on Jefferson Boulevard. They observed the van stop, the rear doors open and two guys with pipe cutters start cutting off the meters from two poles.

Did not have portable radios back then, so they ran to their marked vehicles, told the dispatcher what they observed and inform him they were en route to the location. Apparently every Unit in Oak Cliff heard the conversation and he told me they had plenty of assistance.

Van involved was stolen from a Dry Cleaner on West Davis Street and was full of parking meters. They arrested all three offenders. I always wondered if the City had to replace all those poles or they just had shorter parking meters for a few blocks of westbound Jefferson Boulevard.

I am not completely useless, I can always be used as a bad example.
Re: One of the Most Sad Incidents
April 20, 2018 01:20PM
Here is an old one that happened in 1956:
A privately owned plane was having problems as it headed towards Love Field. It was approaching SMU from the East following above Mockingbird,an saw he was going to crash. His only hope was to try and land inside the Ownby Stadium, on the football field.
HE DID IT,,,missing grand stands on the East side and coming to a stop up close in the end zone at the other end.
He got out of the cockpit and was soon greeted by officials of several Official entities.
The News cameras were also there.
Soon Radio Station, KLIF and WFAA were there.
I heard about it later and went there to and saw the plane and the crowd.
Later, we heard that the FAA had ordered that the plane owner was told he would have to have his plane "dis-mantled", put on a flatbed, and hauled over to Love Field, and there be re-assembled and inspected before it could be flown again.

The pilot/owner objected to this as he was a WW2 pilot who was a decorated officer and shot down many German planes in WW2 in a P=51.
This decorated pilot became a very wealthy oilman in Houston, and flew his plane on business trips all over the USA, and knew he had enough room to fly it out of this Ownby Satdium. The FAA said no!
A few days went by went by, and close neighbors to this Stadium complained one early morning, that there was a lot of noise around this Ownby Stadium by a low flying airplane.
Officials went to the Stadium and,,,,,, THE P-51 was GONE!
What they found was 2 lanes of plywood laid "caddy cornered" on top of the foot ball field.
AND,,,,the P-51 MUSTANG WAS GONE !!!

Never heard of any re-percussions at all. Maybe the "officials" re-considered after reviewing how this pilot and his construction crew made an airstrip long enough to safely do this, but didn't publish it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login