Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

trinity forest

Posted by jgoodman 
trinity forest
January 23, 2018 11:19AM
This is for the out-of-doors types/naturalists on this site. I guess the Trinity Forest can be accessed via Simpson Stuart Rd. or Dowdy Ferry Rd.? Is hiking or exploring safe in that area? The reason I ask is bodies get dumped there and it is in an unsavory part of Dallas Co. Is it reasonable, therefore, to "pack some heat" (carry a firearm)if in that area? Can anyone post me a current map of the extant Trinity Forest since most of ti seems to have been industrialized? Jim
Re: trinity forest
January 23, 2018 01:50PM
Jim, you got me. It looks like it's generally around what used to called Rylie. The McCommas Bluff Landfill is due south of the new Trinity Forest Golf Club - hopefully that doesn't cause any issues for golfers when the wind is blowing out of the south. There are several recently added amenities in the area, like the Trinity Forest Adventure Park (obstacle courses, zip lines, etc.), which is only open on weekends right now.
January 24, 2018 08:05AM
Thanks Sharkin. Exiting off of I-45 onto Loop 12 gets you pretty close. The community of Joppa is nearby. Jim
January 24, 2018 01:02PM
Best access is at the dead end of River Oaks road at Joppa Preserve, formerly the Trinity Rod and Gun Club. This location is largely safe there during daylight hours and has a concrete bike path that runs up to Loop 12 and down around the river to the Trinity River Audubon Center.

Dead end on Fellows Lane has a small park there with a parking lot. The dead end affords a view of the Lower Chain of Wetlands.

There is no real recreational map of the area. Find a pig trail and follow it into the woods.

If you are comfortable with your own safety then there is nothing to worry about in regards to cretins and crooks. You just have to be meaner than them when it counts. I am comfortable hiking anywhere down there alone. Usually on Saturday mornings there is a stronger police presence down there with bike patrols and a helicopter sweep. If you hike then and encounter something bad, the helicopter is 3 minutes away.
February 17, 2018 09:29AM
jgoodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is for the out-of-doors types/naturalists on
> this site. I guess the Trinity Forest can be
> accessed via Simpson Stuart Rd. or Dowdy Ferry
> Rd.? Is hiking or exploring safe in that area? The
> reason I ask is bodies get dumped there and it is
> in an unsavory part of Dallas Co. Is it
> reasonable, therefore, to "pack some heat" (carry
> a firearm)if in that area? Can anyone post me a
> current map of the extant Trinity Forest since
> most of ti seems to have been industrialized?
> Jim

[trinityrivercorridor.com]

I can't vouch for any of this information, but it is "official." City of Dallas has been known to over sell its amenities or to make claims about the quality of its natural resource management and protection that are not quite up to snuff.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login