Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1-1-2018

Posted by jgoodman 
1-1-2018
January 01, 2018 08:12AM
Happy New Year! I wonder what topics this forum will bring forth for 2018?. To start things off, there is a person I wonder about in a photo from 1963 It is a famous photo taken on board Air Force 1 after Kennedy was offed. It is the swearing in of Johnson by Sarah T. Hughes. To Johnson's left is Jackie an on his right is Lady Bird. Off to to his far right next to Jess Curry is an elegantly attired man 60-70ish in a dark suit with a bowtie. Who is he? Jim
Re: 1-1-2018
January 01, 2018 01:22PM
This man? A law professor at Yale, served at times as Johnson's private attorney, got the disputed Democratic primary for senator of 1948 settled in Johnson's favor. Later appointed to the Supreme Court by Johnson, serving several years before Johnson nominated him to replace Earl Warren as Chief Justice. Ethics concerns led the Senate to reject that nomination (a Democratic senate denied a Democratic president his choice for Chief Justice of the Supreme Court). He later resigned from the court out of concerns about the same ethics matters. He at times wore bow ties, though I could find no photographs of him with one. He was known to spend time in Dallas and other cities whenever Johnson did prior to his appointment to the court. I couldn't find anything that indicated his presence on the plane, however.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Dave McNeely
January 01, 2018 01:55PM
Well Dave, I did some research. The guy was a Texas state representative named Albert Thomas-a crony of LBJ's. After being sworn in, Johnson looked over to him with a grin. Thomas grinned back and winked. I thought, given the situation,this was very callous and unfeeling. Later, Jackie made some statements in which she believed LBJ and his batmen were behind the death of her husband and directly linked to his assassination. Who knows. Her statements were on tape not to be made public until 50 years later when Caroline Kennedy authorized their release. Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2018 01:57PM by jgoodman.
January 01, 2018 02:23PM
Well, a wink and grin in the circumstances would certainly be callous, but I don't know about implying that LBJ was involved in the assassination. I think that one has been pretty well settled, except in the minds of folks wearing tin foil hats.

Dave McNeely
January 01, 2018 02:30PM
This and other articles I found say U.S. Congressional, not Texas State, representative:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Dave McNeely
January 01, 2018 02:45PM
My mistake/misread. Jim
January 01, 2018 05:43PM
for those who can't visualize the scene

[upload.wikimedia.org]

the gentleman in the bowtie is standing to Sargent Shriver's left
January 01, 2018 05:44PM
January 02, 2018 09:01AM
I wonder how chief of police Jess Curry wound up on the plane? Jim
January 02, 2018 11:53AM
I always wondered who the gentleman in the bowtie was - he stands out in the picture. Seated to his right is Jack Valenti, also from Houston.
Valenti was a decorated WWII B-25 pilot, serving in the European Theater. After the Kennedy assassination he served as White House special assistant under Johnson. After serving in the White House, he became chairman and CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), and appeared onstage at the Oscars for many years.
January 06, 2018 07:12PM
jgoodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder how chief of police Jess Curry wound up
> on the plane? Jim

Keep looking and you might find Jack Ruby on that plane.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login