1970's Pyramid movie
November 11, 2017 01:12PM
Back in about 1974 or 75 my husband and I went to Reverchon Park to be in a movie being filmed about pyramid power (what can I say, it was the 70's). My husband was filmed singing a song he had written and I was in several crowd scenes. There were stories about the movie on local news and it seemed to be a relatively big deal at the time. It was produced by some local bigwigs and based on a book by a man named Kim something, who ended up giving us a pole pyramid to put over our garden to boost production (it actually burned our plants). We never heard anything about it being released, though there was obviously some money behind it. Sound recordists and camera men were brought from LA, etc. Does anyone else remember this or know anything about what happened ?

Victoria Snyder Alvey
Re: 1970's Pyramid movie
November 11, 2017 03:33PM
This site purports to list all the movies ever made in Texas. Warning, it is VERY LONG!

[www.learnaboutmovieposters.com]

Dave McNeely

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2017 03:33PM by old man from dallas.
November 14, 2017 10:09AM
I don't know about the movie, but I remember that Ed Busch had someone on his late night radio talk show, talking about pyramid power. One thing I remember was the claim that razor blades kept under a pyramid would never get dull.
November 14, 2017 10:20AM
sharkins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know about the movie, but I remember that
> Ed Busch had someone on his late night radio talk
> show, talking about pyramid power. One thing I
> remember was the claim that razor blades kept
> under a pyramid would never get dull.

Well, I'm sure that if the razor blades were kept under a pyramid, and the humidity was low (so no rust), the blades would not get dull. But take one out and shave with it, and it would get dull, as a little metal would wear away with each shaving stroke. The secret would be to leave it under the pyramid instead of shaving with it.

Dave McNeely
November 14, 2017 01:14PM
old man from dallas Wrote:
> sharkins Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I don't know about the movie, but I remember
> that
> > Ed Busch had someone on his late night radio
> talk
> > show, talking about pyramid power. One thing I
> > remember was the claim that razor blades kept
> > under a pyramid would never get dull.
>
> Well, I'm sure that if the razor blades were kept
> under a pyramid, and the humidity was low (so no
> rust), the blades would not get dull. But take
> one out and shave with it, and it would get dull,
> as a little metal would wear away with each
> shaving stroke. The secret would be to leave it
> under the pyramid instead of shaving with it.

Lol Dave!

Ed Busch seemed to have every weird '70s writer or personality on his show, from Erik Van Daniken ("Chariots of the Gods"winking smiley to Charles Berlitz ("The Bermuda Triangle"winking smiley, to "Elizabeth Carmichael" (actually the con artist Jerry Dean Michael), the "inventor" of the three-wheeled car, the Dale.
November 15, 2017 01:03PM
Googling "pyramid," "dallas," and "movie" (together) lead to the Internet Movie Database (IMDB ) site for the shot-in-Dallas movie "The Pyramid," complete with cast, crew, and link to reviews.
November 15, 2017 05:47PM
RWilliams Wrote:
> Googling "pyramid," "dallas," and "movie"
> (together) lead to the Internet Movie Database
> (IMDB ) site for the shot-in-Dallas movie "The
> Pyramid," complete with cast, crew, and link to
> reviews.

Hmmm........ . Googling the combination you suggested did not get me to the IMDB site at all, though several links to a movie titled "The Pyramid" did show up. All were for a movie released in 2014. Googling International Movie Database "The Pyramid" reached the IMDB site for the same movie:

[www.imdb.com]

It was filmed in Morocco according to the web site, and being released in 2014, it would seem unlikely to have been filmed in the mid-seventies.

Can you provide a link to the IMDB site for the movie you found?

Thank you

Added in edit: Well, I tried again, putting the words in quotes. I got to the same site I have linked above, same movie, the one released in 2014 and filmed in Morocco.

Dave McNeely

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 05:50PM by old man from dallas.
November 16, 2017 01:42AM
When I Googled "pyramid," "dallas," and "movie", in quotes, the 3rd hit was [www.imdb.com] . It's about a 1975 movie, filmed in Dallas.
November 16, 2017 10:24AM
ernie5823 Wrote:
> When I Googled "pyramid," "dallas," and "movie",
> in quotes, the 3rd hit was
> [www.imdb.com] . It's about
> a 1975 movie, filmed in Dallas.

Really strange. I enter those three words in quotes and get a third hit for the 2014 movie titled "Pyramid." You do the same thing and get a third hit for the 1975 movie. That one doesn't even show up on my search. Really, really strange to me. But I'd bet that the 1975 movie you found would be the one that Victoria was in.

So, Google is unreliable, returning different results for the same search. I wonder if there is some secret programming involved where people searching from a given computer are returned results depending on their history? But I do not have a history of searching for or ordering fantasy movies.

Added in edit: By including "1975" in my search terms, I got not only the IMDB link, but another one:

[www.tracktvlinks.com]

where I watched a trailer. I recognized the children's swings at Lee Park, the triple underpass, and the Texas School Book Depository Building with a big Hertz sign on top, but could not come up with a name for the building immediately because of the Hertz sign. Wow, men's early 1970s clothing styles were just weird, but I remember them and remember wearing them. There was also a scene that looked like it was shot at a typical Blackland Prairie or even more likely, a Whiterock Escarpment vista. There were actually two reasons that having Dallas in the search terms should have returned this movie: The filming location is given as "Dallas, Texas, USA," and in the credits, a singer with the first name of "Dallas" is credited. But in my initial searches, it did not turn up.

Dave McNeely

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2017 11:06AM by old man from dallas.
November 16, 2017 12:14PM
It never occurred to me to check IMDB because I didn't know it had ever been released, much less had a retrospective showing at Alamo Draft House in Austin. I think the apartment in the movie trailer was where we went to pick up our pyramid, which looked just like the one set up in the living room only bigger. I think the kids on the swing were filmed at Reverchon Park the same weekend we were out there. All we got for our time and performances was free Dr. Pepper. "What, and quit show biz?"

Victoria Snyder Alvey
November 29, 2017 02:05PM
'All we got for our time and performances was free Dr. Pepper. "What, and quit show biz?" '

LOL! Wow, extras usually get enough pocket money to make it worth the day. And, your husband not only performed, but wrote the song he sang. Is he listed in the credits? Surely he at least got that, but then I guess they really would have had to pay him, maybe even royalties.

Dave McNeely
November 30, 2017 09:05AM
My guess is that the performance ended up on the proverbial cutting room floor. I suppose we could be in crowd shots. I believe the sequence we were shooting was the grand finale where all the victims in the movie come together in a vision of some kind. I think we were there for atmosphere, just to prove that Dallas had hippies, too. It makes for a good story for an old lady to tell the kids who think they invented it all.

Victoria Snyder Alvey
December 06, 2017 04:25PM
The credit in the IMDb listing for "Reporter" is Larry Ratliff, a familiar name. I'm pretty sure it's this guy, who lists being a TV reporter as one of the jobs in his past:

[www.larryratliff.com]
December 07, 2017 07:13AM
old man from dallas Wrote:
> 'All we got for our time and performances was free
> Dr. Pepper. "What, and quit show biz?" '
>
> LOL! Wow, extras usually get enough pocket money
> to make it worth the day. And, your husband not
> only performed, but wrote the song he sang. Is he
> listed in the credits? Surely he at least got
> that, but then I guess they really would have had
> to pay him, maybe even royalties.

When I was downtown one evening in 1986, watching a scene for "RoboCop" being filmed in front of the city hall, I spoke to one of the extras wearing a black OCP jumpsuit. He said he hadn't had a speaking role, and had to have spoken at least five words in a production, that was seen by the public, before he could join a union. Of course it's more complicated than that, but maybe that was a rule back in 1986.
December 07, 2017 09:24AM
sharkins Wrote:
> old man from dallas Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 'All we got for our time and performances was
> free
> > Dr. Pepper. "What, and quit show biz?" '
> >
> > LOL! Wow, extras usually get enough pocket
> money
> > to make it worth the day. And, your husband
> not
> > only performed, but wrote the song he sang. Is
> he
> > listed in the credits? Surely he at least got
> > that, but then I guess they really would have
> had
> > to pay him, maybe even royalties.
>
> When I was downtown one evening in 1986, watching
> a scene for "RoboCop" being filmed in front of the
> city hall, I spoke to one of the extras wearing a
> black OCP jumpsuit. He said he hadn't had a
> speaking role, and had to have spoken at least
> five words in a production, that was seen by the
> public, before he could join a union. Of course
> it's more complicated than that, but maybe that
> was a rule back in 1986.

My cousin was in "Giant" way back in the fifties. He was in one of the party scenes representing Houston Hobby Airport. He took a drink from a server's tray, sipped it, and nodded as another "extra" said something to him that was inaudible to the audience . He got $25, no royalties. He had to be available all day and into the night. That would be equivalent to maybe $50 in the seventies, maybe $250 today. I don't know if the union was involved or not, but if so, Ronald Reagan would have been the union boss involved, lol! Of course, that was a major studio with big bucks, what would be called a "blockbuster" film today.

Dave McNeely
December 07, 2017 12:08PM
I noticed Larry Ratliff on the list. I knew him in the RTV department a NTSU c.1968 or 69. He used to be on the daily talk show on KTVT channel 11 in the early 80's with Durwood Rausch. He was a compendium of achingly bad jokes, but a nice guy. The most memorable guests for me were Slim Whitman (Love Song of the Waterfall, yodeler). and Boxcar Willie, who played harmonica and sang railroad songs. Durwood kept calling him "Box", but then Larry called him "Dur", so I guess it all worked out for them.

Victoria Snyder Alvey
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login