Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gill Well

Posted by Paula B. 
Gill Well
September 10, 2017 06:02PM
I've written about the drilling of the Gill Well, its famed mineral water, the Gill Well Sanitarium Co. (which was located on Maple Avenue, just north of the MKT tracks), the straightening of Maple Avenue which spelled the end of the sanitarium and natatorium, and about the Highland Park "watering station" and public drinking fountain on Lakeside Drive which dispensed "Gill water." If I've made any egregious errors, I'd be happy to correct them! My Flashback Dallas post is here: [flashbackdallas.com]
Re: Gill Well
September 11, 2017 08:55AM
Paula B. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Paula, I enjoyed this report immensely, as well as the related one you linked. In fact, I have enjoyed every one of your articles that I've read. Perhaps they will eventually become a book?

Is the "well" near Exall Lake mentioned by "North Dallas Girl" in this thread ( [phorum.dallashistory.org] ) the same as or related to the Gill Water Well near the same location?

BTW, in the photo of Reverchon Park, near the lower left corner of the park, there is an area that looks like some sort of semi-circular structure, though not evidently of masonry. In fact, it looks more like whatever was there is gone, and only earth remains. Could that be where the spigots in a semi-circular arrangement were?

Thanks for bringing us your reports.

Dave McNeely
September 11, 2017 10:31AM
Dave, I believe they are one and the same. The pagoda was long gone by the early 50's when my memories of our visits to the park begin.

Victoria Snyder Alvey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 10:41AM by northdallasgirl.
September 11, 2017 12:48PM
Thank you, Dave! As Victoria said, I'm pretty sure it's the same location. As far as the photo, I'm not sure. If anyone who posts here remembers exactly *where* in Reverchon Park people filled up their jugs and bottles, I'd love to know.

Paula
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login