Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Forum

Posted by Travis B 
Forum
September 02, 2017 07:06AM
Looks like this forum has died. What similar place to exchange memories of Dallas has arisen?
Re: Forum
September 02, 2017 07:53AM
I too would like this forum come back alive.
September 02, 2017 02:27PM
we all have to start posting more so it will come back alive again
September 02, 2017 09:53PM
I'm all for keeping it going. I check it regularly, post occasionally. It's not dead, but is really slow lately.

Dave McNeely
September 03, 2017 11:58AM
O.K. I'll start. Can anyone on this site expound about the the Naturopath purge in 1953-54? I know it happened suddenly.They had clinics, I think, all up and down Ross ave. Jim
September 03, 2017 01:52PM
I don't remember the purge (I was pretty young at that date), but do remember my folks speaking of naturopaths, equating them with quacks of other stripes. Later in time, I do not recall naturopaths in Dallas or anywhere else in Texas or elsewhere I've lived (see exception below). They were right, of course, since anything diluted ad infinitum has been diluted until any given volume of it contains none.

Despite this, naturopaths are treated in the state of Washington where I now live as legitimate medical practitioners, and insurance is even required by law to cover their services. I doubt that that applies to Medicare, since federal rules fit there. But the matter seems bizarre to me, as the practice is akin to what we used to call "snake oil," so far as efficacy is concerned.

edit: My bad! It is homeopaths who are licensed and practice in Washington, not naturopaths. Insurance policies must cover homeopathy in Washington, not naturopathy.

But homeopathy is quackery as well, partly but not only for the reason I cited above.

Dave McNeely

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2017 02:05PM by old man from dallas.
September 03, 2017 03:49PM
Doesn't look dead to me when I look at the main page and see a number of listing.
if you're on Facebook there are two groups devoted to Dallas history

Dallas History Guild
Dallas History

but you have to be on Facebook
September 26, 2017 10:22AM
Sorry,,,,but I don't "do" Facebook. It's not for me.
September 26, 2017 01:29PM
mrchuck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry,,,,but I don't "do" Facebook. It's not for
> me.

Same here.

Dave McNeely
September 27, 2017 06:12AM
Me too . . . in fact, I'm still using a flip phone.
September 27, 2017 08:27AM
Steve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Me too . . . in fact, I'm still using a flip
> phone.

Me too, and I didn't get that until years after everyone else had a phone to carry around with them. I use mine only for essential communication between myself and family when away from home. By using T-Mobile's prepaid plan, I only spend about 30-40 bucks a year on the thing. Note, however, that I am not saving anything, I am spending money. I save money at the bank, not at a store, despite the co-opting of the word by retailers.

Dave McNeely
October 08, 2017 10:56PM
Hey, some of us are busy.

If you don't know about Paula Bosse, please go check her website, Flashback : Dallas. Flackbackdallas.com. Hey the State Fair is on. Anyone going? Please go for me and my family. We're stuck in California. Come back here and tell what you saw.

Fletcher's Corny Dogs and Cotton Bowl games and the Midway. Remember the Dallas Blackhawks at the FP Coliseum?

Dean H.
October 09, 2017 01:45PM
Paula Bosse's blogs are amazing. I love every one of them.

Dave McNeely
October 09, 2017 02:07PM
Dhumpus,

State Fair is nice this year. To answer your question, the local city council folks seem to have started their own private crusade to sanitize the fairgrounds. The hysteria has made the news quite a bit of late. I took some time to get a lot of photos of things that certain people want to remove, raze and bulldoze soon.

I like the first weekend of the fair, the USMC Drum and Bugle Corps are usually there. Photo above is from the retreat ceremony held at 5pm in front of the Hall of State. The way I figure the local government wants to get rid of everything in that photo from the Marines, to the RL Thornton statue, to the Tejas Warrior and the names engraved on the building. All of it will likely be yanked out or told not to come back.

Nobody kneeled as the Star Spangled Banner played. A few teared up. It was nice.

Some people are actually boycotting the State Fair and protesting at the main entrance. They have funny accents from up North and exemplify what people around here once called Yankees.
October 09, 2017 03:40PM
Ben S. Wrote:

>" Some people are actually boycotting the State Fair
> and protesting at the main entrance. They have
> funny accents from up North and exemplify what
> people around here once called Yankees."

Funny what interacting with and living among folks from other parts of the nation and world will do to one's perceptions.

Dave McNeely
October 10, 2017 07:53PM
Thank you, Dean and Dave! Researching and writing about Dallas history is more fun than I ever expected!

FlashbackDallas.com
October 15, 2017 11:26PM
Oh Paula B. I look forward to each and every one of your blogs. It really is addictive for Big D history buffs.

Dean
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login