DALLAS HOSPITALS 1911
June 23, 2017 09:53AM
Does anyone know what hospitals were in Dallas in 1911? I had a relative born here in that year.
Re: DALLAS HOSPITALS 1911
June 23, 2017 12:12PM
eatsallinsects Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know what hospitals were in Dallas in
> 1911? I had a relative born here in that year.

I believe that St. Paul was operating then, but there were privately owned facilities also.

[library.utsouthwestern.edu]

Parkland opened in 1898, according to their web page, but Baylor did not open until 1903.

Dave McNeely

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2017 12:35PM by old man from dallas.
June 23, 2017 02:58PM
The original Parkland was on the corner of Oak Lawn and Cedar springs or Maple. It is now Woodlawn hospital if it is still there. After the present PMH got underway, Woodlawn served primarily as a pulmonary disease hospital (TB and chronic lung disease) Jim
June 23, 2017 09:30PM
jgoodman Wrote:
> The original Parkland was on the corner of Oak
> Lawn and Cedar springs or Maple. It is now
> Woodlawn hospital if it is still there. After the
> present PMH got underway, Woodlawn served
> primarily as a pulmonary disease hospital (TB and
> chronic lung disease) Jim

A few years ago there was discussion on this forum about the old Parkland Hospital being sold and redeveloped as high dollar apartments.

Dave McNeely
June 24, 2017 08:38AM
Harlan Crow has "redeveloped" it. It is now a mixed use center which manages to preserve the bulk of the original complex. I'm not a usually a fan of such efforts, but it turned out better than I expected. For a while in the mid 50's it was the county old folks home. I remember touring it with my Bluebird group about 1957 (I only know that because we went downtown to the Tower Theater to see "Ben-Hur" that same day), I've never been able to understand why adults seem to think that strange children are entertaining to old people. Now that I'm fast approaching the age of those residents I understand it even less.
Also, by 1912 there was a tent hospital set up to isolate and treat victims of a cerebral meningitis epidemic, which is probably a topic for another thread. I had never heard of it until I started researching family history and found some articles about it.

Victoria Snyder Alvey
June 24, 2017 12:31PM
Behind the old PMH/Woodlawn was the early Univ. of Texas SW Medical School It was nothing but a bunch of WW2 barracks in disrepair. Trains ran close by and classes had to stop until the train passed because of the noise. This was post WW2 until PMH on Harry Hines was completed. The medical staff was hosting Gov. Alan Shivers there to try to get funding. As Gov. Shivers walked down a hall, the the rotten floor parted and he stepped thru it. Also during his visit a window fell out of it's frame as a train went past. The school was referred to as "the shacks". Dr. Donald Seldin was horrified when he moved from Yale Univ. Med. School with his family. The business men and mayor invited him down to take over as dean. He had stopped and asked some old bum on Oak Lawn where THE UTSW Med. School was, and the old guy pointed to the shacks. He came close to going back to New Haven. Jim
June 25, 2017 02:17AM
Does the original poster know for sure that their relative was born in a hospital? My dad was born in Dallas in 1908 & was born at home. Seems like I remember that my aunt, born 1913, was also born at home.
June 25, 2017 08:51AM
ernie5823 Wrote:
> Does the original poster know for sure that their
> relative was born in a hospital? My dad was born
> in Dallas in 1908 & was born at home. Seems like I
> remember that my aunt, born 1913, was also born at
> home.
Good question! Yes, I had considered that but no longer have any living relatives to ask.
Wondering if I purchased a birth certificate from Austin that it would reveal the location.
June 26, 2017 02:06AM
You might find a copy of birth certificate at familysearch.org website. My dad's, from 1908, is there, but I couldn't find my aunt's from 1913.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login