Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Uprising, 1864

Uprising, 1864
May 23, 2017 01:16PM
What do folks know about a "Negro Uprising," wording from this article:

[freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com]

There is no date given for the publication of the article, nor any other information about it other than the author, who also wrote other articles on the same web site.

I intend to see what else I can find, but I know there are folks with an excellent knowledge of Dallas's early history on here, so thought I would check here first.

Added in edit: An article in The Handbook of Texas Online gives a history of slave rebellions in Texas. It does not mention a rebellion in Dallas in 1864, but it does provide information on an uprising in 1860 that resulted in much of Dallas being burned, as M.C. mentions below. The article I referenced above does say ex slaves, which would be in keeping with the 1864 date technically, but not the 1860 date. But the article was rememberings of an elderly lady.

The date of the article was given, I apologize for saying it was not. It was 1925.

Dave McNeely

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2017 09:59PM by old man from dallas.
Re: Uprising, 1864
May 23, 2017 06:55PM
The article seems to refer to the fire of 8 July 1860 which destroyed a good part of Dallas. There were similar fires in Denton and Pilot Point the same day and smaller fires in other north Texas towns.
May 27, 2017 02:20PM
I agree with M. C. Toyer that the year in Mrs. Foster’s article is wrong. The events of the July 1860 fire in Dallas and the investigation which followed are too lengthy to describe here. I suggest you read pages 46-48 and 57-58 in Dallas: An Illustrated History by Darwin Payne, published in 1982. If you are still interested after reading Payne and want to go deeper in your research, then read pages 62-75 in Dallas Her Golden Years by Barrot Sanders, published in 1989. It has the text of newspaper articles, letters, affidavits, profiles of people involved, etc.

Note: An article published in the Houston Telegraph on July 14, 1860, about the fire in Dallas had incorrect information. The author implied the entire town had burned, which it did not.
May 27, 2017 07:54PM
Marylyn, thank you for the additional information.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login