Housely Cemetery
May 14, 2017 07:53PM
I am looking for any information on Housely Cemetery. Specifically pictures of the remaining headstones if there are any. I am an ancestor of the West family and was there almost 35 years ago when it was just a field with a few graves. I know now it is commercialized and very few of the stones were left except those of the Myers children and 3 West family members. My mom helped petition them from being moved. Curious to know if they still exist or not. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Tari Johnson
tarij12@gmail.com
Re: Housely Cemetery
May 15, 2017 11:19PM
[Dallas Mapsco 40G] HOUSLEY CEMETERY Wise Lane & Oaks Trail, Garland 75043. 4 acres.

From I-30, go 0.1 mile South on Lyons Road to Bobtown Road. Turn right at Oaks Trail/Bobtown and go West to Wise Lane. This cemetery is almost completely obliterated by construction. Only WEST and MYERS Family markers remain. A visual check of the cemetery location in June 2002, by A. C. Morgan, shows 4 MYERS grave markers left. To the northeast of the intersection of Wise Lane and Oaks Trail, these 4 markers are protected by a small, light tan brick enclosure with an iron gate. The earliest marker, that of Effie MYERS shows her death to be Jan 25, 1888.

A broken James WEST marker is across Oaks Trail next to the Restoration Worship Center. It is surrounded by a small iron fence.
Pictures documenting location and stones, June 2002, A. C. Morgan.
cjomrgan@swbell.net

See Myers Graves #1 Survey here

[freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com]
Re: Housely Cemetery
May 16, 2017 12:02PM
This cemetery is listed as Myers-Loving Cemetery on Find A Grave. The four Myers grave markers were photographed in 2011 by Ron West. In 1971 the remains of James and Margaret Loving were moved from Housley Cemetery to Lyons Cemetery in Sunnyvale. Two of their daughters married Myers men.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login