Hartle Field Pilot Training 1943-45
May 13, 2017 09:37AM
My father was a civilian flight instructor at Hartle Field in Denton from 1943-45. I am looking for any information about this era and any possible pilots who might have trained there.
Re: Hartle Field Pilot Training 1943-45
May 13, 2017 05:59PM
bmullen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My father was a civilian flight instructor at
> Hartle Field in Denton from 1943-45. I am looking
> for any information about this era and any
> possible pilots who might have trained there.

[phorum.dallashistory.org]

If this link doesn't work, run a search on the archives. Look at the upper right of the page. Under the "search" window, select "advanced." Then fill in the blanks, and make sure to select "all years" from the drop down window in the lower right before clicking "search." You should get 18 hits.

Dave McNeely
May 15, 2017 05:30AM
An uncle that passed away in 2015 was a cadet that received training at Hartlee Field in preparation for being an artillery spotter, so I assume he trained in small, single engine aircraft.

He told me his class of cadets were housed at the college, I do not know which college and trucked to the airfield daily.

He also talked of flying to Camp Howze near Gainesville, Texas for some of their exercises and training. He visited the old airfield for Camp Howze, which is now the Municipal Airport before his death and said it had not changed much, just upgraded and some modern buildings added.

I always thought Hartlee Field was utilized for light bomber training using grass runways as would be found in England, but he said there were no multi engined aircraft there during his training which I figure was late 1944 into early 1945.

He, being from Oklahoma City was thankful for the training so close to home.

If I recall when he completed training, received his Second Lieutenant Bars and was transferred to Europe just in time to see the Germans Surrender. He was sent to Germany as part of the occupation forces and flew mail runs until being discharged just before Christmas 1945.

I am not completely useless, I can always be used as a bad example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2017 05:38AM by DallasCop2566.
May 25, 2017 07:27PM
Made several skydives at Hartlee Field in the 80s at a small drop zone there. At that time there was a WWI era aircraft museum there with several original and replica airplanes of that time period, all flyable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login