Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Neighborhood Grocery Stores

Posted by DallasCop2566 
Neighborhood Grocery Stores
April 17, 2017 05:37AM
I was driving on Interstate Highway 30 in Mesquite recently and was following a pickup truck pulling a trailer. Both were loaded with what at first appeared to be total junk. As I got closer I saw in the trailer an old screen door with Colonial Bread displayed on it in bright colors.

Brought back memories of neighborhood grocery stores when I was growing up and each had one of these type screen doors with some product name on it. The nearest family operated store to where I grew up in Oklahoma City had a Wonder Bread screen door and two large metal RC Cola circular bottle cap appearing displays mounted to each side of the front door.

Would get what I was sent for and Mrs. Bridges would open a large drawer and find a receipt book with our name and fill it out and have me sign it. My Dad would go by each Friday and pay up. Mr. Bridges was a unique gentleman that made chilli, I can still smell it and sold it in bricks. He also made sausage stuffed into casings which was an interesting procedure to observe, especially when one of the casings would explode.

There were four of these small, family operated grocery stores within a mile of our home, still remember the names, Bash, Shadid, Bridges and
Lofton.

One of the stores put out of business when large super markets came to the area eventually ended up as a Beatnik Joint, called the Black Brick (they painted the inside and outside a dull black). People sat around on the floor listening to weird music and drinking hot apple cider with a Cinnamon stick stuck in it.

I am not completely useless, I can always be used as a bad example.
Re: Neighborhood Grocery Stores
April 17, 2017 06:59AM
I worked for a neighborhood store while was in school - we even delivered grocery s on Wednesday afternoon and Saturday mornings
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login