Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DeLord La Reunion Home Site on Westmoreland?

Posted by TedACampbell 
Re: DeLord La Reunion Home Site on Westmoreland?
March 28, 2018 11:01PM
1960 grad from Sunset. I knew Lindy Santerre, as well. Sorry to hear he's gone.

I recall old postings on the DHS board regarding research on La Reunion that indicated the Santerre name was one of the early group of settlers of that area.

In the early '50s, we could ride our bikes to the area along Hampton Rd., NE of FW Hwy. It was full of quonset huts that had housed military and their families during WW II. ............As kids, we didn't understand the real name of the area and always called it "Laurie Union".
March 29, 2018 09:25PM
As a teenager in the mid-50s I caddied some at Stevens Park Golf Course. IIRC one or two holes were located across the intersection and in the NW corner of Hampton Rd and Plymouth Rd. I don't remember if the DAR La Reunion marker was there then or it was something related to me by someone. But I have always thought of that area as the SE corner of La Reunion.
March 30, 2018 04:43AM
I also attended Stockard and Sunset with Mickey Bickers. I seem to recall that it was Mickey who, on the last day of school at Stockard, was being taunted by the Vice Principal who had walked out onto the low porch off of his office. Mickey hit him one time and knocked out the VP! The VP was a vile person and deserved it.

Tough guy. Later had a bar in Greenville area of Dallas.

Years ago he was reading on the old DHS site and saw his name mentioned. He said he had become a certified respiration therapist.

That was a good thing for him, since his running buddy in school, Richard (Dickie) Waldren, was gut shot and died in what was reportedly a drug deal problem.

'Nuff said... I hope Mickey is still doing well.
March 30, 2018 08:28AM
I graduated with you, Fred. Mickey was in my class and was rumored to have killed somebody. He was certainly tough. His Dad was Ben Bickers, a famous sporting man in Dallas. He owned the University Club and was questioned in the investigation of Kennedy's death. Mickey married Rolinda Pelt in our class at Sunset after graduation.. They divorced and Mickey left for Las Vegas. He is now a licensed counselor/therapist for addiction patients here in Dallas. He still has that tough demeanor, but has become somewhat philosophical. I talked with him 10 years ago.
March 30, 2018 02:11PM
This Michael Bickers?

[www.michaelbickers.com]

There are reviews of Bickers as a behavioral therapist available on various medical practitioner locator services. Interesting.

Looks to be about the right age.

Dave McNeely
March 30, 2018 04:44PM
180 degrees from his youth in Oak Cliff. Perhaps back then he was simply misunderstood. Jim
April 08, 2018 05:18AM
Oh yes, I remember Rolinda Pelt! I didn't know about her and Mickey getting married.

I joined the Naval Air Reserve in Oct '59, so was sent to active duty in Oct '60 after turning 18 in Aug.

Back in those days, only about 20% of grads went to college/univ.. Many married near/just after graduation and became blue collar/retail/clerical workers. ...........Exceptions were good athletes like Jerry Rhome and a couple of my childhood friends, Martin Cude and Ronnie Jenkins. ...Saw them at our 40th reunion.
April 08, 2018 05:49AM
1. Yep, Dave Mc, that's the guy.

2. Jim, you are so right about the 180* turn by Mickey. ...As I recall he at one time had a bar on Greenville, known to be a place where drug transactions occurred and his childhood thug buddy was shot and killed . I guess circumstances and maybe his wife caused him to click into reality and he turned his life around. Good for him!
April 08, 2018 06:51PM
Fred, I sent you a pm on the phorum. If you don't know about them, just login and look at the top right of the page. There is a link there for private messages.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login