Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

structure

Posted by jgoodman 
structure
February 21, 2017 10:40AM
For some time, traveling down I-45 south toward Houston, I've noticed an old red brick structure to the west adjacent to a RR track that parallels the HWY. It is not there anymore. It was perhaps 1/4th of a mile in distance. It is/was was between Ferris and Palmer. It looked like an abandoned school, 3 stories high. I think there was a road going off the I-45 access towards it, but I never explored it. I suppose it has since been leveled. Does anybody have any input about it? I first noticed it in the 70s. Jim
Re: structure
February 21, 2017 12:25PM
Jim, that sounds like it may have been Wilmer-Hutchins high school which I attended in 1947-48.
bug
February 21, 2017 03:38PM
The old Trumbull School?
We explored the abandoned remains before they took the building down.
Don't remember if I shot any photos.

February 22, 2017 08:21AM
Bug, that sort of looks like it. Jim
February 22, 2017 08:56AM
Travis, Would W-H high school be south of Ferris? Jim
February 22, 2017 08:16PM
I've seen that building too but could never convince my husband to stop and let me snoop about a bit. Sorry to hear it is now gone.
February 23, 2017 10:15PM
No Jim. The school was just north of Wilmer and served a rather large rural area in addition to Wilmer and Hutchins. At the time we lived just east of Lancaster Road and south of where I-20 now crosses Lancaster. My mom and dad bought one of the first small houses built on Marigold in 1947.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login