Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Indian Settlement West of the Trinity

Posted by TedACampbell 
Indian Settlement West of the Trinity
February 08, 2017 07:38AM
Someone posted an image of a map by an early Dallas-area settler that showed a native village in the area of west Dallas, not far from where the Reunion colony was or was to be. Can anyone hep me locate and (hopefully) document that item?
Re: Indian Settlement West of the Trinity
February 08, 2017 04:45PM
TedACampbell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Someone posted an image of a map by an early
> Dallas-area settler that showed a native village
> in the area of west Dallas, not far from where the
> Reunion colony was or was to be. Can anyone hep me
> locate and (hopefully) document that item?

MC Toyer used to participate in this forum, back when it was more focused on historical phenomena like this. He may still monitor it, I don't know. You can search for him in the archives, and probably find contact information. He is a veritable font of information on early Dallas history. If he doesn't know an answer, he will know where to find it.

Dave McNeely
February 09, 2017 10:17AM
Back in 1819-1820 Chief Bowles and his Cherokee were displaced and briefly settled in the immediate vicinity of what is now the county courthouse. There were also Delaware around a little prior to that.

Native Americans is a whole different discussion if you broaden the discussion. Dallas has a great Native American past with many settlements, camps, villages and farms stretching up every small tributary of the Trinity River, second order creek and gulley. Many different peoples created those inhabited areas over many thousands of years.
February 13, 2017 07:29AM
Ralph Black also is a "book of knowledge" here.
But haven't seen any postings from him in a long time.....
February 13, 2017 08:05AM
Waxahachie, TX. is 30 miles South of Dallas on the old US Hwy 77.
My family ancestors founded this "cow creek" town in 1838.
February 13, 2017 01:56PM
I contacted MC by email and he reminded me that this map showed "Tonkawas Indian Mounds" somewhere in the vicinity of Oak Cliff. Wish I could document that.
February 15, 2017 07:55AM
[s239.photobucket.com]

Attached at the link above is the map you mentioned. It is from a book about La Reunion.

--Ben Sandifer
February 15, 2017 06:09PM
Maps of La Reunion, a part of the Santerre collection at UT Arlington library:

[lareunionhistory.blogspot.com]

The book is _White Cliffs of Dallas_, by George Santerre. Santerre was a colonist of La Reunion as a child, and lived well into the 20th century.

[www.amazon.com]

Dave McNeely
February 22, 2017 05:03AM
Thanks very much for the posts. Yes, the map is the frontispiece for George Santerre's book, The White Cliffs of Dallas (1955).

I presume that Santerre himself produced the map based on his family's knowledge of the Reunion settlement. His great grandfather had been one of the original Reunion settlers.

So far as I know the site he identifies as "Townsite French Colony" is not marked and my best guess is that it would be somewhere around 1200 W. Commerce, near the intersection of W. Commerce and N. Edgefield, since the ma seems to show the townsite north of the slope up to Western Heights.
March 02, 2017 11:20AM
Regarding my post above, George Santerre was a descendant of a La Reunion colonist, not a colonist himself, though I believe that his grandfather, a child in the colony, did live well into the 20th century. I apologize for the error.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login