Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hwy. 45

Posted by jgoodman 
Hwy. 45
December 17, 2016 03:59PM
45 goes from Galveston to Dallas. Hwy. 75 continues northward. Why, then, is 45 designated as interstateā€¦I45? jim
Re: Hwy. 45
December 17, 2016 06:34PM
Jim, I believe that whether or not a highway is designated as an Interstate Highway depends not on where it originates and terminates, but on whether funds specifically designated for Interstate Highway construction were used to build it. There are many Interstate Highways that do not cross state lines. It may be that all of them intersect with others in such a way as to provide for interstate travel, however. Every large city seems to have Interstate Highways that are in fact intracity (or at least intra metro area) highways, like I-635 in Dallas and I-820 in Fort Worth.

Dave McNeely
Re: Hwy. 45
December 18, 2016 09:07AM
Makes sense. I never knew 635 and 820 were tagged as interstates. Didn't pay that much attention, really. I simply thought of them as beltways. Jim
Re: Hwy. 45
December 19, 2016 09:28AM
Jim, another example of an interstate highway similar to I-45 from Dallas to Houston is I-37 between San Antonio and Corpus Christi. I used to drive it regularly when I worked in the RGV but my family lived in Denton, until I discovered alternate, saner routes where I did not have to drive I-35. It begins and terminates at those two cities. Intra-urban interstates bear 3 digit designations, like I-635. Both Hawaii and Alaska have Interstate Highways though neither has a border with another U.S. state. Those in Alaska are not so designated. There are other examples of Interstate Highways not designated also.

Though overly wordy (like my posts), this Wikipedia article provides a reasonable description of the logic of the interstate highway system:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Though I'd thought about the fact that there is no I-50 or I-60, I didn't know why until I read this article. It is reasonable. If there were, there would be both an I-50 and a U.S. 50 in the same states, and in fact, two cross continental routes with the same number, creating confusion in route finding. The numbering for the two separate federal highway systems is geographically opposite. U.S. 90 crosses the southern U.S. (passes through Texas) while I-90 crosses the northern (passes through Montana). Both U.S. 50 and I-50 would pass through Kansas if both were extant.

The U.S. highway system was pieced together from existing state highways, then upgraded with federal money (like the Bankhead Highway which became U.S. 80 and U.S. 180). U.S. 75 north from Dallas (formerly from Houston) is a part of that system. In that case, the portion north from Dallas to Denison was constructed to Interstate Highway System standards, but was not part of the Interstate plan and did not receive the 90% FHA funding that interstates do.

The interstate system was created de novo, and was proposed by the FDR administration. I'd thought it originated with Ike, but that's not true. He took the ball and ran with it. In fact, initial construction was during WWII, for military reasons. Both Kansas and Missouri claim to have the first segments of the system, based on when authorized and when construction began.

Dave McNeely
Re: Hwy. 45
February 13, 2017 06:21PM
Yes -- the older US highway that ran from Galveston through Houston and Dallas and north into Oklahoma was US 75. The interstate had to conform to the naming/numbering conventions given above with north-south freeways from I-5 on the west coast to I-95 on the east coast, so the number for I-45 was consistent with that system. The parts of US 75 that were not incorporated directly into I-45 were re-designated as Texas Highway 75 some time in the 1980s, but from Dallas north it remains US 75.
Re: Hwy. 45
February 13, 2017 06:23PM
It remains a good question as to why the highway was not designated as I-45 all the way to Oklahoma, since 75 (North Central Expressway) seems to conform to interstate specifications all the way to Oklahoma.
Re: Hwy. 45
February 13, 2017 10:41PM
TedACampbell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It remains a good question as to why the highway
> was not designated as I-45 all the way to
> Oklahoma, since 75 (North Central Expressway)
> seems to conform to interstate specifications all
> the way to Oklahoma.

I thought that I answered that question in my post above: " .... the portion north from Dallas to Denison was constructed to Interstate Highway System standards, but was not part of the Interstate plan and did not receive the 90% FHA funding that interstates do."

Dave McNeely
Re: Hwy. 45
February 22, 2017 05:14AM
I just wonder why it hasn't been designated as an interstate highway subsequently. I suppose that's a funding issue, i.e., beyond the allocations for the Interstate system so state and local authorities have to pay for it?
Re: Hwy. 45
February 22, 2017 09:12AM
I remember as a kid in OC, driving to Rockport, Tex. on Hwy. 75. We had to stop in every little town along the way: Cameron, Rosebud, Giddings, Victoria et al. It took 10-12hrs and was exhausting. I can imagine it's much better now. Jim
Re: Hwy. 45
February 22, 2017 10:42AM
TedACampbell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just wonder why it hasn't been designated as an
> interstate highway subsequently. I suppose that's
> a funding issue, i.e., beyond the allocations for
> the Interstate system so state and local
> authorities have to pay for it?

States get a higher proportion of federal funding for interstate than for U.S. highway maintenance, as well as for construction and upgrading. U.S. 75 in Oklahoma is mostly a 1950s era two lane highway, with bridges to match. A portion does follow U.S. 69 in southern Oklahoma, another portion aligns with the toll road from near Atoka to Henryetta, OK, and still another runs from Tulsa S to Okmulgee, OK with limited access, but none of U.S. 75 in Oklahoma is a part of the interstate system. Perhaps the combination of I-35 from Dallas to OKC, and I-44 (Will Rodgers Turnpike) from OKC to Tulsa was deemed adequate to supply the interstate needs without building another.

Dave McNeely
Re: Hwy. 45
April 10, 2017 09:45AM
Probably the most ironic "Interstate" highways are the ones on the island of Oahu in Hawaii - H1, H2, H3, and H201 (which completes a loop with H1, near the airport). They're signed with the red-white-and-blue Interstate shields, but being on island, they're not connected to any other state (I know, obviously).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login