Birthplace of Sheriff Bill Decker
November 04, 2016 03:53AM
What is the real birthplace of Sheriff James "Bill" Eric Decker, 30th Sheriff of Dallas County.
My notes show born in a "Frame Cottage at the corner of Akard and Belleview in South Dallas", but I see that Pilot Point, in Denton County, also claims itself as the Sheriff's birthplace.
Re: Birthplace of Sheriff Bill Decker
November 04, 2016 10:16AM
[tshaonline.org]

Birth records are public, and would be more definitive.

Added in edit: Getting those records might not be as simple as looking up the Department of Vital Statistics and entering a search. It might require an open records request, or demonstration that you are a family member with a need to know. Birth records ARE public, but Texas may protect them somewhat. A genealogy web site might be more forthcoming, but less definitive. Also, it seems that TSA Handbook Online states that Decker was born in 1898, and Department of Vital Statistics states that records are available from 1903 forward.

Dave McNeely

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2016 08:19PM by old man from dallas.
November 05, 2016 07:30PM
In 1969 and early 1970 I was assigned a Beat in East Dallas. Sheriff Decker lived in the 6300 block Palo Pinto Avenue.

I would stop and visit when I saw him outside, he often was setting on his front porch. He always greeted with, "You want a cup of coffee, I am sure Clyde just made a pot". It was several visits before I realized Clyde was his wife. I made a comment how unusual it was for a female to be named Clyde and Sheriff Decker replied, "Not as unusual as having a middle name of Nevada".

I was always amazed at his sharp memory and his recall of many interesting cases his office became involved in.

He told me he was born in "The Cedars" area of Dallas, so I guess the home described at South Akard Street and Belleview Avenue as his birth place would be accurate.

If I recall correctly, after Sheriff Decker's death, his wife moved to a home on Monticello Avenue. I was at Baylor Hospital Emergency Room doing a follow-up on a vehicle accident when she was brought in. The next day it was announced that she had passed away.

I am not completely useless, I can always be used as a bad example.
November 07, 2016 03:59AM
Thank you for sharing your memories.

Steve
November 11, 2016 07:10AM
DallasCop2566 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In 1969 and early 1970 I was assigned a Beat in
> East Dallas. Sheriff Decker lived in the 6300
> block Palo Pinto Avenue.
>
> I would stop and visit when I saw him outside, he
> often was setting on his front porch. He always
> greeted with, "You want a cup of coffee, I am sure
> Clyde just made a pot". It was several visits
> before I realized Clyde was his wife. I made a
> comment how unusual it was for a female to be
> named Clyde and Sheriff Decker replied, "Not as
> unusual as having a middle name of Nevada".
>
> I was always amazed at his sharp memory and his
> recall of many interesting cases his office became
> involved in.
>
> He told me he was born in "The Cedars" area of
> Dallas, so I guess the home described at South
> Akard Street and Belleview Avenue as his birth
> place would be accurate.
>
> If I recall correctly, after Sheriff Decker's
> death, his wife moved to a home on Monticello
> Avenue. I was at Baylor Hospital Emergency Room
> doing a follow-up on a vehicle accident when she
> was brought in. The next day it was announced
> that she had passed away.

I remember that Decker lived there on Palo Pinto. In 1970 we lived in the 6300 block of Vickery, and that summer, I helped another kid throw a Times Herald route (the 5700-6000 blocks of Palo Pinto and Goliad). He lived at 6215 Palo Pinto, a little house that's since been replaced by a McMansion, like ours on Vickery.

Based on where I remember the house sitting (hey, I was ten years old at the time), I'm thinking that Decker lived at 6262 Palo Pinto. It could have also been 6302 - someone who has access to a city directory of the time could look it up.

As for the name Clyde for a woman, it wasn't unheard of. My mother's mother (born in 1895) had a friend named Clyde. My grandmother didn't drive, and neither did Clyde, so my grandfather usually drove by her house, to give her a ride to church, or to go to the Piggly Wiggly or Safeway.
November 12, 2016 07:46AM
Sheriff Decker lived at 6302 Palo Pinto Avenue. I am sure the house has probably been replaced with a two story modern home.

His house was on the southeast corner of Palo Pinto Avenue and Alderson Avenue and if I recall correctly his garage faced Alderson.

I remember a funny incident that occurred during one of my coffee break visits. I parked my police vehicle on Alderson and we were setting on the front porch and we heard a vehicle rapidly accelerate west of us on Palo Pinto Avenue. It continued east at a high rate of speed squealing the tires.

As it passed I ran to my vehicle and pursued the driver. I finally got him stopped several blocks away. It was a young guy and he did not have his drivers license with him. I just issued a citation for No Operators License and warned him about his driving.

I returned a told the Sheriff what occurred and he said, "I hope you didn't tell him I was here, I could lose a vote:"

November 14, 2016 10:18AM
DallasCop2566 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sheriff Decker lived at 6302 Palo Pinto Avenue. I
> am sure the house has probably been replaced with
> a two story modern home.
>
> His house was on the southeast corner of Palo
> Pinto Avenue and Alderson Avenue and if I recall
> correctly his garage faced Alderson.
>
> I remember a funny incident that occurred during
> one of my coffee break visits. I parked my police
> vehicle on Alderson and we were setting on the
> front porch and we heard a vehicle rapidly
> accelerate west of us on Palo Pinto Avenue. It
> continued east at a high rate of speed squealing
> the tires.
>
> As it passed I ran to my vehicle and pursued the
> driver. I finally got him stopped several blocks
> away. It was a young guy and he did not have his
> drivers license with him. I just issued a
> citation for No Operators License and warned him
> about his driving.
>
> I returned a told the Sheriff what occurred and he
> said, "I hope you didn't tell him I was here, I
> could lose a vote:"

Ah, thanks. Google Maps Street View shows the original frame house at 6302 as late as September, 2011. I seem to remember a Dr. Pepper company car (painted in that light green they used to have on some of their bottles) parked at 6262 Palo Pinto. It's funny, the things you remember.

You talk about a speeding car, I remember that there was a guy that owned a maroon '64 Chevelle 2-door hardtop, that all of kids thought was cool (it had a set of Cragar S/S wheels), and he lived down the street at what would have been 6164, a little house set far back off the street, like our house on Vickery.
November 24, 2016 12:40PM
Since birth registrations had not begun when “Bill” Decker was born, other sources must be used. According to his World War I draft registration card, which he signed, he was born August 31, 1895, in Dallas. That is not proof of where he was born, but it is proof that he thought he was born in Dallas. The year he was born is also an interesting question to research. The 1900 federal census says he was born in 1895, which is in agreement with the information on his draft registration card. Social Security records also say he was born in 1895. However, when he died the birth year entered on the death certificate was 1896. The informant for the death certificate was Bill’s wife, Clyde. 1896 is also the birth year in the marker in the mausoleum.
April 16, 2017 06:49PM
The other day I was thinking about Sheriff Decker and remembered him telling me that while still in school, the family moved to East Dallas. He described a two story house on Roseland Avenue near Peak Street.

I see in the 1911 Worley's City Directory a J.A. Decker living at 4403 Roseland Avenue, which would be a corner house on the northeast corner of Roseland Avenue and Ashby Avenue.

It has been so long, but I recall him telling me this may have been his grandfather's home or his grandfather lived with them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login