Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dallas professional football history

Dallas professional football history
October 30, 2016 08:08AM
I know about the Dallas Texans, and that they moved to Kansas City after winning the American Football League championship some time in the late sixties. I was even a Texans fan, based on my youthful feelings of principle that the NFL had treated Dallas unfairly by not giving them a franchise until a new league (the AFL) was created to compete. Whether that was a rational basis for preferring the Texans over the Cowboys doesn't matter now. I was young, and the young are sometimes idealists whether or not their idealism is (as it probably was in this case) silly.

But that is not my point here. I have read at times that Dallas had earlier professional football teams, but have not been able to find information about them recently. I believe that at least one of them moved to another city at some point, and that others simply failed.

More information? Thanks in advance.

Dave McNeely
Re: Dallas professional football history
October 30, 2016 08:57AM
The 1952 Dallas Texans of the NFL.
October 31, 2016 10:50AM
Wayne Pritchett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 1952 Dallas Texans of the NFL.

Thanks Wayne. I thought that there had been other teams at times,also, perhaps "semi-pro." whatever that means. Boy, that first Texans team did not last long!

Dave McNeely
November 02, 2016 02:25PM
In the Spring of 1961, I had the pleasure of being at a meeting held at a restaurant in Dallas at Camping's Restaurant on Mockingbird and Central Expressway. Attending was Tex Schramm, both Hunt Brothers, and lots of potential players and coaches and "other investors" were present.
This was the beginning of Professional Football for Dallas, Houston, and also Kansas City.
Lots of yelling, some fisticuffs, but agreements and handshakes took place.
This WAS the beginning.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login