Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

building

Posted by jgoodman 
building
October 16, 2016 11:26AM
I was watching a TV program about the Kennedy assassination and noticed a building on the corner of Harwood and Main (NW) corner as the motorcade turned. I know that it was/is a hotel because I had designed the decorative grillwork on the north side facing the Dallas Co. Jail.. I also remember a great BBQ place nearby. What was the name of that hotel? Jim
bug
Re: building
October 17, 2016 11:07AM
Would you be thinking of what was originally the Dallas Hilton but is now the Indigo,
with Gus's Barbeque right close by across Harwood from the Old City Hall?
October 17, 2016 08:34PM
I can't say if the building Jim asked about was the Hilton (the location was right, but the building was built in 1924 according to Wickipedia), but Gus's offered the best barbecued brisket in Dallas, or for that matter, North Texas, so far as I am concerned. It was a little store front type place, with old fashioned school desks to eat at. A brisket sandwich (on a hamburger bun, which was typical) had thick slices of meat stacked about 2" high. The usual condiments, including a thick sauce, were offered with it, and boy was it good.

Dave McNeely

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2016 08:42PM by old man from dallas.
October 18, 2016 05:32AM
The White Plaza Hotel is located on the northwest corner of Main Street and Harwood Street. The former residence of Captain Will Fritz, lead investigator of both the Kennedy Assassination and the murder of Officer J.D. Tippit and Lee Harvey Oswald.

He was a daily fixture in the White Plaza Restaurant for breakfast even after he retired. He recognized officers eating there and remembered their names, even officers hired after he retired.

I visited Captain Fritz's grave site at Restland Cemetery earlier this year and found his marker completely unreadable due to a lawn sprinkler nearby. I only had a roll of paper towels and a spray container of window cleaner and I did the best I could. A cemetery worker saw me and promised he would clean the marker and several more in the area with a pressure washer.

I returned several weeks later and he did as he promised and the Captain's marker was shining bright in the morning sun.

I also visited the new section at Restland for Law Enforcement Officers and Firefighters killed in the line of duty. A must see, the memorial is amazing, check Google Images for photos.

Click Here

I am not completely useless, I can always be used as a bad example.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2016 05:38AM by DallasCop2566.
October 18, 2016 08:23AM
Was he Henry Wade's chief investigator? Jim
October 18, 2016 08:44AM
Dallas Cop, According to Wikipedia, the original Dallas Hilton Hotel was at that location, and was the long time residence of Conrad Hilton, who built it in 1924. The building went through several later owners and names (including the White Plaza), before becoming the Dallas Indigo, part of a large chain of hotels bearing that name and owned by a subsidiary of Holiday Inn.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Dave McNeely
October 18, 2016 11:07AM
The Statler-Hilton(that has now fallen into a sad state of deterioration)was next to the public library(also vacant) that was directly across Main St.from this building that I was inquiring about. Jim
October 18, 2016 01:00PM
jgoodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Statler-Hilton(that has now fallen into a sad
> state of deterioration)was next to the public
> library(also vacant) that was directly across Main
> St.from this building that I was inquiring about.
> Jim

[www.thestatlerdallas.com]

Has all this not going to happen??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2016 01:28PM by Steve.
October 18, 2016 01:03PM
jgoodman Wrote:
> The Statler-Hilton(that has now fallen into a sad
> state of deterioration)was next to the public
> library(also vacant) that was directly across Main
> St.from this building that I was inquiring about.
> Jim

That is true. But according to the Wikipedia article cited above, the original Dallas Hilton was on the NW corner of Main and Harwood, and the building is still there, renovated, and operated as an Indigo Hotel. Bug also pointed out that what was the original Hilton is now an Indigo.

Added in edit: My mistake, sorry. As pointed out by others, the Statler Hilton (and the library as well) was on Commerce St.

Dave McNeely

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2016 07:34AM by old man from dallas.
October 18, 2016 09:23PM
The "Dallas Hilton" built in 1924 was at Main & Harwood.
The "Statler Hilton" built in 1956 was a block South at ~Commerce & Harwood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2016 09:24PM by Frank.
October 19, 2016 09:28AM
Isn't the Statler Hilton in the process of being renovated, to reopen as a hotel (actually 219 apartments, and 159 hotel rooms)? Here's their Web site:

[thestatlerdallas.com]

Also, I've stayed in the Plaza Hotel (back in the early '80s).
October 19, 2016 10:51AM
Thanks to all of you for your clarification. So the White Plaza was originally the Hilton? i thought the only Hilton enterprise in Dallas was the Statler. In 1963 the northern most part of that building-along Harwood-was a parking garage Jim
October 23, 2016 03:11PM
I believe the Hilton on Harwood was the first hotel built by Hilton - he owned a number of hotels but were hotels he bought and changed the names to Hilton,
October 23, 2016 07:42PM
Wayne Pritchett Wrote:
> I believe the Hilton on Harwood was the first
> hotel built by Hilton - he owned a number of
> hotels but were hotels he bought and changed the
> names to Hilton,

The first hotel that Hilton bought was in Cisco, Texas during the oil boom of the 1920s. He was there with the intention of buying the bank, banking being his business at the time.

The story is that he attempted to get a room at the hotel, but with the oil boom going on, rooms both went for a premium, and were sold out. Being denied service, he offered more than could be refused for the hostelry, and his line of work changed. That's an apocryphal story, but it is true that his first hotel was in Cisco. My uncle worked in that hotel, as well as a number of other Hiltons scattered over Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Kansas as a chef, after getting his first training in that occupation in the CCC.

Dave McNeely
October 25, 2016 11:26AM
Who was "Statler"? Jim
October 25, 2016 12:37PM
October 25, 2016 12:38PM
jgoodman Wrote:
> Who was "Statler"? Jim

An earlier hotelier who founded the Statler Hotel Company, which built the Statler Hilton in Dallas under the name Statler, but immediately sold it to Hilton, who kept the name Statler but added Hilton to it.

Dave McNeely

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2016 12:42PM by old man from dallas.
October 25, 2016 01:10PM
Thank you. I guess I could have Googled it, but on this forum sometimes the literati add more illuminating info. Jim
October 03, 2017 09:31PM
sharkins Wrote:
> Isn't the Statler Hilton in the process of being
> renovated, to reopen as a hotel (actually 219
> apartments, and 159 hotel rooms)? Here's their
> Web site:
>
> [thestatlerdallas.com]
>
> Also, I've stayed in the Plaza Hotel (back in the
> early '80s).

Does anyone know the status of this projected renovation? I just looked at the web site as the wife and I are planning a trip to Dallas soon. The web site has what appear to be links for leasing apartments, hotel reservations, and other things one might expect, but none of them work. The overview gives the impression that the hotel is now operating, but evidently that is not true.

added in edit: Ah, I missed a link. The hotel is evidently opening on 1 November, and is now taking reservations. Rooms, amenities, and restaurants are described on the link. Sounds like it will be nice.

Dave McNeely

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2017 09:45PM by old man from dallas.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login