Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

not political, historical

not political, historical
October 10, 2016 09:24PM
What presidential candidates over the years have actually campaigned in Dallas? I know that recent candidates have been to Dallas to raise campaign cash. But actually campaigning there, when has it happened? JFK? LBJ? Nixon? I am sure that it hasn't been in the past couple of decades. Early and mid-twentieth century it probably happened.

Dave McNeely
Re: not political, historical
October 10, 2016 11:23PM
I know of one Presidential Candidate that was in Dallas for sure-----------February 8, 2008.

DALLAS, Texas (CNN) -- A police officer was killed Friday morning in a motorcycle accident as Sen. Hillary Clinton's motorcade made its way through downtown Dallas, police said.

The Dallas Police Department said Senior Cpl. Victor Lozada-Tirado was traveling southbound on the Houston Street viaduct when he struck a curb, lost control of the motorcycle and went down.

Lozada-Tirado was transported to Methodist Central Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

A Dallas police officer since December 1988, Lozada-Tirado was married with four children, according to police. CNN affiliate WFAA-TV in Dallas/Fort Worth reported he was 49.

There were no other vehicles involved in the accident, police said, and the motorcade was able to continue to the site without further incident.

Clinton said she called the Dallas police chief and would contact the officer's family at an appropriate time.
Don't Miss

The Democratic presidential candidate said she is "greatly heartsick over this loss of life in the line of duty."

"I just want to express my deepest condolences to the family and to the Dallas Police Department on this tragic, tragic loss," she said.

"I am certainly grateful for all they do for me and more importantly what they do for the citizens of cities like Dallas

I am not completely useless, I can always be used as a bad example.
October 11, 2016 08:43AM
Thank you, Dallas cop. Sure, primary candidates do campaign in Dallas and other parts of Texas. I guess I was thinking about the nominee, not the candidates for the nomination. But you are right of course.

Trying to avoid getting into the politics of the matter, just trying to know a bit better the political history of Dallas. I think I know that for decades after the Civil War it was a Democratic bulwark, but then turned red until it followed the lead of other big cities and became blue again, while the suburban parts of Dallas County remained (and became more) red.

Of course, JFK's trip to Texas in 1963, though billed differently, was an attempt to shore up support for the coming 1964 election.

Dave McNeely
October 11, 2016 09:42PM
Certainly not a historian but I do recall a few instances when I was too young to vote. I attended a rally for W Lee O'Daniel in 1938. Remember it because my dad sat me on his shoulders so I could see. Didn't mean much to a six year old except for being in a crowd and getting ice cream after. Some years later as a twelve year old I stood in the crowd along Jefferson Blvd when Franklin D Roosevelt passed enroute to a rally site. At the time WWII was in the news so I was paying a bit more attention. Delivered the DMN at the time and had brothers in the Pacific. I well remember the enthusiasm of the crowd. The first president I actually followed and paid any attention to was Dwight D Eisenhower, because he came to Korea and visited us at the front lines. Did not vote for him but probably would have except for the fact that one had to be 21 to do so. So, I saw a few politicians in those days but have never been a member of a party.
October 12, 2016 10:21AM
John Kennedy campaigned in Dallas in September, 1960.

[www.nbcdfw.com]
October 12, 2016 01:35PM
A photo in Historic Photos of Dallas in the 50s, 60s, and 70s shows a Dallas campaign visit by the Eisenhowers.

The caption reads: "Eisenhower brought his presidential campaign to Dallas several times in 1952 . . . When more than 6,000 people showed up for an early morning stopover in October, Ike and wife Mamie were forced to address the crowd from atop the marquee on the west end of Union Station."
October 15, 2016 11:07AM
Theodore Roosevelt visited Texas in 1905. He was in office but I don't know if it was a campaign stop. The Sanger Bros. department store had a half page ad in the DMN welcoming him to Dallas. I have a clipping of the ad but can't put my hands on it right now. My great grandfather was the general manager of Sanger Bros. until his death in 1911.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login