Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cafeteria on Mockingbird Next To SMU

Posted by dbell 
Cafeteria on Mockingbird Next To SMU
July 30, 2016 11:46AM
What was the name of the cafeteria on Mockingbird at Central that was next to SMU? My sister and I ate there a lot, but I cannot recall the name.
Re: Cafeteria on Mockingbird Next To SMU
July 30, 2016 09:34PM
Picadilly? Furrs?

I think the name might have changed but I'm not sure!
August 02, 2016 11:01AM
The "cafeteria "in question was located on Hillcrest, just before McFarlin Blvd.
The name of it was LUBY'S.
I worked there when I was 8 years old till I was 12, and started throwing papers for the DMN.
My Social Security record shows this, and I will be 78 in several weeks. I was a "tray carrier" for their older customers.
I was officially paid 10 cents an hour.
But almost all of the patrons tipped me a dime. And some were "known" to tip a quarter.
Lots of elderly women tipped a quarter.
Also we were fed.Get a tray and go get in line.
My Aunt lived on Mcfarlin Blvd where it met Hillcrest!
I lived on Normandy and rode my bicycle to work!
August 02, 2016 06:04PM
It was J's Cafeteria (on Mockingbird, where La Madeleine is now). It opened in 1962 and was later bought out by Furr's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2016 06:06PM by Paula B..
August 03, 2016 12:38PM
My grandparents took us to both cafeterias in the 50's and 60's when they didn't go to the Highland Park Cafeteria (they still called it "Goodman's"winking smiley. The Luby's changed names at some point but I don't remember the later name. The abiding memory of that location for me was "Olde South Night" when they had a banjo player (Ed Burnett?) along with Miss Inez at the organ and we had a sing-a-long of minstrel show favorites.
August 06, 2016 12:46PM
Thanks, everyone, but especially Paula B. It was J's Cafeteria when my sister and I were going there to eat. We would get tickled because there was a lady behind the food counter that would always say in an almost-monotone, "Serve YOU?" We started saying that to each other when we would find ourselves at a family gathering and plates were being filled. I miss my sister, and I miss going to J's, but I can say this with a big smile on my face, remembering all the happy times we shared and our little inside jokes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login