Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Small graveyard south of Royal Lane about a half-mile west of Central Expwy

Posted by VeniVidiDejaVu 
In the late '50s, before Royal lane was extended from Boedecker to Central we used to ride our bikes down to Boedecker and then follow the creek, Royal Branch, to Central. Somewhere in there was a small bluff over the creek, and on the south side a very small, fenced graveyard. I assume it was a family cemetery. The dates were 1800s, but can't remember exact details. I assume that when the developers built houses in that area the graveyard "disappeared". Does anyone remember anything about it? Thanks ~ Mike

Native Dallasite, Hillcrest High '65, Texas A&M '71
Re: Small graveyard south of Royal Lane about a half-mile west of Central Expwy
July 15, 2016 11:06PM
The cemetery was Ellis Charles Thomas & Family. The cemetery was relocated to Greenwood; site of John Thomas plots. INFO. John: One of the original pioneers of Dallas, taking advantage of a Peters Colony grant of 640 acres in what is now developed north Dallas. John or "Jackie" was elected as the first "Chief Justice" of Dallas on July 13, 1846 and conducted the first survey of Dallas County under John Neely Bryan. He brought his family to the area in 1844, with his brother Alexander, who also took advantage of a Peters Colony grant of 320 acres nearby. At the time, only 12 families lived in what is now Dallas county.
The old cemetery was located in a hill (?) on the creek, 1/8" mile east Bodecker/St Michaels.
The property was Ellis's section; John's section was Northaven (maybe the ponds, west immediate Hillcrest) or Rick's Circle area.
The DPL downtown has the stories of Thomas family. A C Greene wrote stories for remembering the family. Study DMN Archives.
I was a kid, fishing in the creek, below the graveyard, I removed my new shoes (Loafers) for storage for the fish catch, catfish. I was 4, small loafers.
Joel
Thanks for the complete info, Joel!
~Mike

Native Dallasite, Hillcrest High '65, Texas A&M '71
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login