Old wooden bridge on the west side of White Rock Lake
July 13, 2016 12:00PM
Anyone remember that bridge? To the best of my memory (which falters) it may have been an extension of Dalgreen Dr. over the railroad tracks. I just remember we would go late at night, between '63 and '65, to drive around White Rock looking for the Lady of the Lake, and drive past the old cemetery. Past that there was this old, white, wooden bridge that actually changed directions in the middle. The white boards in the headlight were really spooky to a carload of teenagers looking for ghosts. At some point it burned down.

The graveyard had a headstone or statue that depicted a rather large angel, wings akimbo, that kids would sometime paint.

~Mike

Native Dallasite, Hillcrest High '65, Texas A&M '71
Re: Old wooden bridge on the west side of White Rock Lake
July 13, 2016 06:00PM
The kids at Woodrow Wilson called the funerary statue the blue angel. A number of years ago I took my kids to Cox cemetery. The statue was no longer there.
July 19, 2016 08:44AM
Someone probably stole it and sold it as yard art. That sort of thing has become big business in the last few years much to the detriment of our old cemeteries.
July 30, 2016 01:32PM
Guess I am the only one who remembers this old span. It was a trestle type bridge made of timber and boards painted white, and stood rather tall. It was long and somewhat "S" shaped, with a bend in the middle. I found an aerial photo of the White Rock Lake area from about 1930 which appears to show the bridge over the railroad track that ran north west on the west side of White Rock. I thought that it must have been on Dalgreen road, but it appears to have been on a road that is about where Huff Trail is today, and to the west of Fisher road. See the picture. As I said, the bridge was still there in the early '60s, but burned around 1965.

Native Dallasite, Hillcrest High '65, Texas A&M '71

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2016 03:36PM by VeniVidiDejaVu.
bug
August 01, 2016 12:09PM
I remember hearing about this bridge when I was a kid but was told it was burnt down years before by hobos.

There was a house right off Fisher at what is now Huff Trail that us children thought of as haunted.
Have wondered since if that house didn't end up at Old City Park?
August 03, 2016 01:03PM
I remember going across that bridge once on a Sunday drive when my mother told my father that she was never crossing it again and we could darned well wait until it was fixed or replaced. I was young so it must have been 1954-1958.
There is or was a "Fisher Rd. House" at Old City Park so maybe that's where it ended up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login