"Chili Rice is very nice" Shanghai Jimmy
July 12, 2016 08:50PM
Remember Shanghai Jimmy? In the late 70s he had a "restaurant" on Lemmon Ave; all he served was chili on rice, and lemonade to drink. A little, wizened character with thinning white hair whom claimed to be in the Marines in China in the '20s, and came up with his recipe there. I would see him occasionally, ice skating at the Plaza of the Americas ice rink on Pearl St. downtown; pretty sure he was in his 80s. Quite a character!

Native Dallasite, Hillcrest High '65, Texas A&M '71
Re: "Chili Rice is very nice" Shanghai Jimmy
July 12, 2016 08:58PM
In late '68 I was traveling back to A&M after a Dallas weekend in my '64 MGB, which overheated at the Richland exit off of I45 about 70 miles south of Big D. Pulled into a white frame bldg that used to be a gas station but was now a rather Spartan cafe'. I was the only one there besides the owner, a large black man. Nice guy, let me park there while the B cooled down, and served his specialty: home-made chili on real mashed potatoes. Man, that was tasty!

July 13, 2016 10:32AM
Veni, looks like you are new to the phorum. Welcome. Lots of folks in our age class here on the phorum, and lots of interest in Dallas history, obviously.

The archives works really well, though slow. almost any search requires using the advanced feature so that you can look back past 30 days. You'll find a lot there concerning Shanghai Jimmy and his chili rice.

Dave McNeely
July 13, 2016 10:44AM
Dave: Thanks for the welcome! I have been reading the Phorum avidly the past few days, and am now on page 20. Lots of memories brought back!

I certainly do not wish to be redundant, so I did a search on Shanghai Jimmy yesterday, and waited semi-patiently for it to finish. No hits. I did a search just now, after reading your response, and got 3 hits....all relating to my post. I know for a fact that I read on thread where Shanghai Jimmy was mentioned in passing, not in detail, but that reference did not even show up. Not sure what is happening.

July 13, 2016 10:55AM
I probably misspelled Shanghai Jimmy or something. Tried Jimmie but got no hits.

July 13, 2016 08:04PM
The default on the search is for the past 30 days. You have to first select "advanced," then for your specific search select "all dates."

Here's what I got: [tinyurl.com]

Dave McNeely
July 13, 2016 08:13PM
Ohhhhhh....so only about 50 references, Well, that's not so much! Dave, thanks for teaching me how to do it right. Sometimes my ineptitude reaches award-winning heights! ~ Mike

July 14, 2016 07:51AM
VeniVidiDejaVu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ohhhhhh....so only about 50 references, Well,
> that's not so much! Dave, thanks for teaching me
> how to do it right. Sometimes my ineptitude
> reaches award-winning heights! ~ Mike

You are welcome. The search function is a bit cryptic. First, the "advanced" button is hidden beneath the initial search button, and to me it looks as if one enters the search term then selects "advanced," but it is the other way around. Then the time frame to search is selected from a button that is last in order. Meanwhile, one can "search all phorums," or specifically the DHS Archives. "all phorums" I presume means all hosted by the program. Who knows where that might go.

Again, welcome to the DHS Phorum. It is quite informative, sometimes argumentative (less so in recent times), and always loads of fun. There are actually some quite knowledgeable people on here regarding Dallas history. When some "real history" questions arise, they will chime in, and sometimes they will bring up something of real historical interest themselves, like you did with the information about the lost airman from Dallas.

Dave McNeely
July 18, 2016 07:47PM
I remember hearing about the Chili-Rice parlor but never got to try it. I also saw Jimmy on several occasions ice skating at Plaza of the Americas. Didn't realize who he was at the time.I've always heard he was fascinating character.
October 21, 2016 06:37AM
I'm from Southeast Texas (Beaumont), which was the largest rice-producing area in the US when I was growing up there in the 1950s and 60s. Chili is regularly served over rice there, maybe a Louisiana-culture thang. Doesn't fare well, I have discovered, when I submit it to other Texas folks in a chili cook-off.
December 05, 2016 10:21AM
Wasn't there a Shanghai Jimmy's located downtown? Also, I seem to remember seeing his chili rice recipe posted somewhere.
December 05, 2016 10:46AM
sharkins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wasn't there a Shanghai Jimmy's located downtown?
> Also, I seem to remember seeing his chili rice
> recipe posted somewhere.

The recipe is on the phorum (likely in the old iteration, a decade or so ago). IIRC, it contains celery salt of all things. But people seemed to have liked it. Search the archives, and it may show up, but remember to select advanced, and all dates. Or take a look a the posts up above, in the tiny url I posted. It may be there.

Dave McNeely
December 05, 2016 02:19PM
Here is a recipe for Jimmy's chili. I cannot say if it is authentic, but apparently it appeared in the old iteration of the phorum, though this is from something called "Texas Cooking Forum," which I was pleased to discover:

[boards.texascooking.com]

The celery salt that I remember put me off the recipe at one time does not appear in this version.

Further down is a recipe for Benny Binion's Horseshoe Lounge chili.

Somewhere I have a recipe for Smoot Schmidt's Dallas Jailhouse chili. I'll look for it.

Added in edit: Here is the Jailhouse Chili recipe, from the archives:

[phorum.dallashistory.org]

Tolbert's chili recipe is in one of his books that I have, and maybe I'll look that up and post it.

Truth be known, however, my favorite chili is made the way my mother made it. Who would have thought that?

Dave McNeely

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2016 06:21PM by old man from dallas.
December 13, 2016 08:40AM
Excellent! Thank you Dave.
December 13, 2016 07:58PM
You are welcome, Sharkins.

Here are several versions of Tolbert's recipe from the web:

[www.abowlofred.com]
[www.food.com]
[www.moutons.org]

Each one has variations that differ from Tolbert's. Other examples I found, also claiming to be Tolbert's original, differed even more. Some included onions, some tomatoes, even tomato paste, all of which Tolbert spoke adamantly against (I use both onions and tomatoes, in moderation, myself). Tolbert did not recommend chili powder of any brand as a substitute for the dried ancho peppers. He did not recommend coarse ground beef as an alternate for the beef chuck or round, cut into 3/8" to 1/2" dice that he used. He did not say it was ok to ladle cooked beans into the chili when serving it, but rather spoke against beans other than on the side. He instructed the cook to sear the beef in the suet until it was gray, not to brown it, though one on line editor recommends browning it deeply, and does not clarify that that is the editor's, not Tolbert's instruction. He did not include Tabasco in his chili, and that condiment is definitely not Texan.

Interesting how people can claim that a recipe is "original" when they have modified it themselves (or maybe not, maybe they never consulted the original source, and copied someone else).

So far as Tolbert's use of chuck or round, I personally find that the best beef for chili is from the shank, cut into dice as Tolbert recommended, then sprinkled liberally with Adolph's meat tenderizer before searing. But that is only if you can get good, meaty shanks. A beef shank, if properly offered for sale, is about 4 or 5x the diameter of its contained shank bone. The meat cut from the shank is very flavorful, with lots of collagen but little fat. It is also the best for traditional stews, treated as for chili.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login