Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lost Country (and Western) Clubs

Posted by dhumphus 
Lost Country (and Western) Clubs
June 14, 2016 07:53PM
I got a chuckle out the post "Lost Country Clubs" topic, thinking it meant something entirely different.

It reminded me of my late teens trying to talk my way into C&W clubs along the GP Arlington boundary. The Sadie Hawkins was one. Can you think of any other 70's honky tonks ? I wish I could ;-\ BTW I stopped the practice when I turned 21. Haven't been back since.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2016 07:55PM by dhumphus.
Re: Lost Country (and Western) Clubs
June 15, 2016 05:50PM
We used to drive through Grand Prairie on our way to Arlington every week to visit family. I remember enjoying all the neon on those clubs along the strip but only remember The Ritz and the Hi Ho Ballroom by name. Never had occasion to visit any of them though.
June 15, 2016 08:08PM
Anybody remember "TI parties"?
June 20, 2016 12:01PM
Went to Sadie Hawkins while in college during the summers. Interesting assortment of women there. I was young then with an abundance of testosterone.
June 20, 2016 03:16PM
Never spent much time at such emporia, but I remember being aware of a place called the Dew Drop Inn. I think it was somewhere in East Dallas, but don't rely on that.

I did go to the Hi Ho Ballroom, at least I seem to remember that being the name, with buddies on the occasion of my 21st birthday. The point was to be able to show legitimate i.d. proving my age when asked. I was sorely disappointed not to be asked. It was not that I looked older than my youth, either, because I was a typical "baby face." Well after that date, I often was "carded" when buying beer.

Dave McNeely

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2016 09:37PM by old man from dallas.
rs
July 04, 2016 06:05PM
I remember The Cockeyed Cowboy on Skillman near Abrams in the late 70's. Though not entirely C&W, there was also Fibber McGees nearby. That place had a great free lunch buffet for the price of a glass of iced tea. There was also a place along North Central in '80 or '81 where the happy hour deal was five bucks for all the draft beer you could drink. They gave you a plastic cup and very attractive, young female servers patrolled the floor with pitchers of beer, topping off the cups most reliably. That place was amazing, the last of the good old days. I'm thinking the name of that bar may have been Belle Starr, but i could be wrong. I remember it was a fairly large establishment, with a dance floor, pool tables, pinball, seating tables, lots of room to roam around.

Robert
July 04, 2016 07:25PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned the Longhorn Ballroom. From wikipedia:

"The Longhorn Ballroom is a music venue and country western dance hall in Dallas, Texas (USA). It was known in the early 1950s as Bob Wills' Ranch House when the large ballroom was built and operated by O.L. Nelms, an eccentric Dallas millionaire, for his close friend, western swing bandleader Bob Wills. When Wills left, O.L. Nelms leased the sprawling dance club to Jack Ruby who later killed Lee Harvey Oswald, John F. Kennedy's accused assassin. O.L. Nelms then sold the property to his close friend and business partner Dewey Groom."

Of course "I" was too young and hip to have ever darkened it's doors - cough! cough!, but my friends told me about it.
July 04, 2016 09:20PM
Longhorn Ballroom has been discussed many times on the forum. For links to great stories about it, search the archives. The owners and those associated were all colorful characters.

Dave McNeely
rs
July 05, 2016 08:00PM
Was it Longhorn Ballroom or Panther Hall where the manager or owner was found murdered in the office one night after a boxing show?

Robert
July 11, 2016 07:57AM
Wow, I hadn't thought about Panther Hall in years. Whatever happened to it? Is it still there or long gone? My dad used to watch a C&W variety show broadcast weekly from Panther Hall on KTVT.
July 12, 2016 04:12AM
Panther Hall closed in 1978.
July 17, 2016 02:07PM
Bill's Silver Saddle on the county line in Grand Prairie. Remember in 70's used to swim @ the Clayton House which later became Great Southwest Inn on Division St just across the tracks from the honkey tonks on Jefferson. One day was swimming and this guy sitting near pool was strumming a guitar. Bus parked in lot said " Mysterious Rhinestone Cowboy". He was probably playing the Silver Saddle across the way.
Well discovered later it was David Allen Coe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login