Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone know of any old dump grounds to look for bottles?

Posted by vicky 
Anyone know of any old dump grounds to look for bottles?
May 31, 2016 06:01PM
Hello! New member here.....was wondering if anyone that reads or posts here remember any old dumping grounds in or around Dallas County? This would be where the communities took their household garbage back before there was a truck to pick it up. I hunt for old bottles with a few friends. Also take my elderly Mom, Aunt and a retired Dallas Sheriff. Its a lot of fun digging up some of Dallas' past. Some of the other things we find are marbles (lots of those) dishes, tokens, and even a few coins. We have a couple we go to now, but always looking for new places. We respect the land and always cover our holes. Any info would be appreciated.
Re: Anyone know of any old dump grounds to look for bottles?
June 04, 2016 03:15PM
I recall an old dump off of E. illinois, but I believe the property is under development now. I used to find marbles occasionally around our house, in the drip line where water runs off the roof in a rain storm, but haven't found any in a long time. I have also found a couple of tiny bottles in the drip lines as well as a horse tooth and a penny from 1936. One does find odd things in old neighborhoods from time to time.
June 04, 2016 05:40PM
Ty, I may have to go and look around over in that area. They usually dont mind us looking especially if the land is being developed. I love finding old things before the get buried and lost forever. Can you recall any more specifics, like what road off of Illinois it was on? My Mother grew behind Cedar Crest Shopping Center so we know the area pretty good. Its awesome finding things on your own property. Ive found marbles in my yard too. Also a 1943 dime. Thanks so much for the info. thumbs up
June 06, 2016 11:24AM
I hope I'm remembering this correctly. Don't remember a street name, just rode over there with my dad on several occasions. It was north off E. illinois, just a short distance west of what is now I45. It is possible I45 might have been built on top of it. My dad always just called it the city dump. so I'm guessing old municipal records for Dallas would tell you where it was. The retired Sheriff might remember it better than I. The last time I was there was in the late 60's (maybe early 70's) and a guy had put up a gate and was charging a fee to remove items from the dump. He told my dad that it was no longer city property. My dad was appalled at the idea and we never went back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2016 11:32AM by altozwei.
June 07, 2016 11:35AM
Note: The old Forest Avenue dump is a historical site with the State of Texas, digging there is looting. If I were to see anyone digging there, I would likely call 911 and have the looters arrested on the spot.
June 26, 2016 06:30PM
Never been there and would never "loot" Most of what we find is in the creeks where the old dumps were. Rain washes them out of the ground. Better to have them picked up than polluting the water.
June 27, 2016 06:56AM
That was Linfield dump at the end of Linfield Road
June 27, 2016 02:44PM
thank you
June 27, 2016 07:01PM
I have a friend who used to look for arrow heads along the Arkansas river in northern Oklahoma. The land along the river is owned by the federal government. He was stopped by a government employee (I'm not sure what his title was) who made him give up the arrow heads he had found.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login