Lost Country Clubs
May 31, 2016 03:03PM
How many departed country clubs can you think of? The Oak Cliff Country Club didn't exactly go away but was disappointingly changed to the generic Golf Club of Dallas. However, places like Glen Lakes, Sleepy Hollow, and Riverlake(s) went away. Any others? Wasn't there a "Forest" something too ?
Re: Lost Country Clubs
June 02, 2016 05:33AM
During the student demonstration at Bishop College when a District Judge issued an Order To Vacate the Chapel which they had taken over, the Sheriff called in support from the Texas Department of Public Safety and the Dallas Police Department. There was no actual Tactical Division then, so they assembled Dallas Officers from each station to prevent manpower shortages at one station.

They designated a staging area which was the parking lot of the abandoned Singing Hills Country Club in the 1800 block Couch Road. The building and swimming pool was about all we could see as it was dark and there was no lighting. The building was severely damaged by apparent vandals and the swimming pool was full of trash.

We staged there for several hours then reported to the campus. The students were informed of the Judge's Order and were informed they were under arrest and they peacefully vacated the building onto Dallas Transit Buses which were utilized to transport them to the Dallas County Jail. I, along with about twenty other Dallas Police Rookies were then assigned to assist in the booking procedure which took until the next morning.

I believe there is now a Dallas Parks and Recreation Community Recreation Center there now.

I assume there was a golf course connected to the Singing Hills Country Club which I was later informed was maintained for the purchasers of homes in the Singing Hills Addition, I guess a promotional benefit offered by the developers.
June 02, 2016 05:44AM
I had a now deceased friend that talked often of the Old Glen Lakes Country Club which was located somewhere near Vickery apparently from his description of the area then. He also spoke of playing golf at the Bob O Link Golf Course located near Abrams Road and East Mockingbird Lane. He was a very successful business owner and kept a private airplane at an airport which was located where the Medallion Shopping Center at Abrams and East Northwest Highway is now located. I seem to recall him calling it Mustang Field, a connection to Southern Methodist University I guess.

I remember him griping about Mustang Field closing and he moved his plane to White Rock Airport which also closed. He finally relocated to Addison Airport after moving from the Lakewood area of Dallas to far North Dallas.
June 02, 2016 08:11AM
Glen Lakes Country Club, its predecessor entities, and Lee Trevino's connection there have been discussed at several different times in the past on the forum. The archives should reveal quite a lot. Mustang Field and White Rock Airport also have received attention here.

Dave McNeely
June 02, 2016 02:02PM
DallasCop2566 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> They designated a staging area which was the
> parking lot of the abandoned Singing Hills Country
> Club in the 1800 block Couch Road. The building
> and swimming pool was about all we could see as it
> was dark and there was no lighting. The building
> was severely damaged by apparent vandals and the
> swimming pool was full of trash.
>

> I believe there is now a Dallas Parks and
> Recreation Community Recreation Center there now.
>
>
> I assume there was a golf course connected to the
> Singing Hills Country Club which I was later
> informed was maintained for the purchasers of
> homes in the Singing Hills Addition, I guess a
> promotional benefit offered by the developers.

Thanks for that address. Several years ago I posted here looking for the exact location of the Singing Hills CC. Several people remembered the pool and clubhouse but not the exact address.

My family lived on Rhapsody Lane. I used to go down to a creek located along Lazy River Drive. On the South side of the creek I could see people playing golf at the SHCC.

Buz
August 16, 2016 09:48AM
My grandmother used to take my sister and I to play bingo at Glen Lakes CC. It sat on the east side of Central very close to the KTVT facility on the west side.
My uncle, Harry McCommas owned Bob O Links, and my dad used to take me there as well.
August 20, 2016 09:50AM
For a while back in the 60s there was the Spring Valley Country Club at the corner of Preston and Spring Valley. I went to pool parties there in high school. It was fairly small: just the pool, small clubhouse and golf course. I think there was a club at Hillcrest and Preston which the EDS campus later occupied, but can't remember the name (and they say short term memory goes first). There is a very exclusive gated community there now.
August 20, 2016 03:29PM
So far as I know, Preston Road and Hillcrest are parallel or nearly so, never approaching each other. Could a different cross street be involved?

Dave McNeely
August 20, 2016 03:37PM
This lists some Dallas County country club locations. How many are extant or where located now, I have no idea. There certainly were/are many more.

[www.dallasnews.com]

Dave McNeely
August 20, 2016 04:37PM
The EDS property was located between Preston and Hillcrest at 7171 Forest Ln. It was there for 18 years. Trying to remember was what on that property before EDS...
August 22, 2016 12:31PM
Sorry, I meant Forest and Hillcrest. I actually remember that intersection when there was nothing there but empty fields. We used to go on Sunday drives (remember those?) that far north when we lived closer to NW Hwy. I was about 5 so it was 1954 or so. I think there was a small building a bit north of there on the east side of Hillcrest that was used for either YMCA or Scout activities.
August 22, 2016 12:41PM
I definitely remember Forest Lane at Hillcrest when there was nothing there except empty fields. White Rock Creek runs through the area, and was of course in a natural channel in the fifties and sixties. My father and I used to fish the creek where it crossed Central Expressway at about Forest Lane. The railroad trestle over the creek just east of the Expressway is today, I think, a part of a DART route. Today that stretch (and most of White Rock Creek) is in a concrete channel, and is a resource long lost.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login