Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The King of Diamonds

Posted by RPederson 
The King of Diamonds
January 22, 2016 08:55AM
I am working on a book about the elusive jewel thief nicknamed "The King of Diamonds." He robbed many of the wealthy families in Dallas from 1958-70, but was never caught. None of the gems were every recovered. I am wondering if anyone has any remembrances from that time that would be helpful? Any leads would be appreciated. Much thanks!
Re: The King of Diamonds
January 22, 2016 12:53PM
Rena Pederson?
January 22, 2016 02:29PM
That's right.
January 25, 2016 02:04PM
Rena, I'm a member of a couple of the Dallas history groups on Facebook. Are you on those? Or would you like me to pass your request for information to the groups? I'm be glad to do it. I was only ten when the King of Diamonds' crime spree ended, so I don't remember anything about it.
January 25, 2016 07:46PM
I just read a couple of accounts of "The King of Diamonds" crimes. Wow! Maybe I heard about this back in the day (I would have been 18 years old at the end of the burglar's career 1n 1963), but it's not something I remembered. It sounds like the guy (or girl, or group of guys and or girls) got credited with crimes probably committed by others, including some insurance frauds. But it also sounds like the King of Diamonds probably was one person who committed a half dozen or so him or herself, and maybe some in other cities as well. It also sounds like that one perpetrator was an inside operator in a sense. That is, the criminal knew his or her victims, perhaps via social circles. Some crimes may have been committed by imitators.

A million bucks in burglaries in the late fifties-early sixties would be something like $15M today. Decent pay, even if spread out over ten years as this evidently was. A ten year crime career and no arrests is pretty remarkable.

Dave McNeely

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 10:37PM by old man from dallas.
February 17, 2016 07:31AM
Good to hear from your Dave! Your analysis is very astute. The evidence does tend to support that it was someone with strong social connections who knew who had the jewels, where they lived, when they were going out. Many of the policemen who worked on the case have died or moved away, but I am trying to track down as many as I can, as well as the former police reporters and family members of people who were robbed. Former DMN reporter Jim Ewell has been a big help. It's turning out to be quite a fascinating historical project! Hope all is well in your world -- and thanks for touching base! Rena
February 17, 2016 07:36AM
Thanks! I would like to know more about those Facebook pages -- or if you could relay a message, that would be terrific! There might be someone who was around the time or a relative who remembers some of the events. Any sliver of information may help fill out a piece in the jigsaw puzzle! Thanks much -- I sincerely appreciate your interest. RP
February 18, 2016 10:54AM
Rena, I've posted on the Facebook groups "Dallas History" and "Dallas History Guild", and added a link to your Web site. I've also asked them to share it to other groups that might be relevant.
March 01, 2016 11:56AM
Rena, this is a very interesting bit of Dallas history. Please keep us posted on your findings, and please let us know about your publication when it happens.

I have sent you a PM via the phorum.

Dave McNeely
March 01, 2016 11:58AM
Rena, I hope you are able to get some useful information from the FB posts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login