Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

State Fair Midway

Posted by northdallasgirl 
State Fair Midway
September 30, 2015 08:59AM
Went to the Fair on Monday, had fun. It was the first time we'd been in several years and were really looking forward to going in the first week so we could see all the animals, since we usually end up waiting until the last week. Guess what? The animals are rotated through now because the competition got so big they couldn't accomodate all of them at once, so we missed the goats, pigs and chickens. Dang. The first time I went to the Fair (1953) my grandfather took me on a tour of the Swine and Poultry barns so my parents could go to the Planetarium and I've loved chickens ever since. Monday I just stood by the merry-go-round with tears rolling down my cheeks, then rode it and laughed the whole time. It truly is a time machine. But the point of this post was really to ask about the girly shows at the end of the midway back then and up through the 60's or 70's. I remember they were back by the Joey Chitwood and roller coaster and my (and my husband's) favorite was the Cotton Club Review, although I think there were several others. I've often wondered what those girls thought about a little white girl in braids standing transfixed by the stage. They seemed so glamorous, though I'm sure the reality was worlds away from that. Does anyone know any more about those shows and when they disappeared?
I'd also like to commend Fletcher's for finally adding a veggie corny dog to the menu. It was great and I was told that they're selling really well. I can add Fletcher's No.1 to my list of time machines at the Fair.
Re: State Fair Midway
October 04, 2015 09:29PM
northdallas, a very nice post, and interesting. I can't answer your questions, but I felt compelled to ask, What in the world is a "veggie corn dog"? Seems to be an oxymoron to me. It would be like serving vegetarian chili con carne. I actually saw that on a menu, and the young waitress whom I tried to ask about how one could possibly serve vegetarian pepper with meat was totally clueless as to why I found it odd.

Dave McNeely
October 05, 2015 08:49AM
Dave, there was a story about the Fletchers on Channel 5 last night after the Cowboys game, and Skip Fletcher (one of Neil's sons) talked about their history, and the veggie corny dog. I was hoping for some information about what's in the "dog", but I guess that's a secret, like the batter recipe.
October 05, 2015 09:31AM
sharkins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dave, there was a story about the Fletchers on
> Channel 5 last night after the Cowboys game, and
> Skip Fletcher (one of Neil's sons) talked about
> their history, and the veggie corny dog. I was
> hoping for some information about what's in the
> "dog", but I guess that's a secret, like the
> batter recipe.

It may be a secret, but this is from Skip Fletcher himself:

[www.texasmonthly.com]

Dave McNeely
October 05, 2015 11:18AM
According to this story from 2014:

[dallas.eater.com]

the batter recipe is kept in a safe at Morrison Milling in Denton.
October 05, 2015 12:18PM
sharkins Wrote:
> According to this story from 2014:
>
> [dallas.eater.com]
> y-of-fletchers-americas-original-corn-dog
>
> the batter recipe is kept in a safe at Morrison
> Milling in Denton.

Could be. Could it be just a big batch of "Corn Kits"? Fletcher made it a point in the article I referenced to say that the recipe was a secret, but then suggested that anyone who wants to make a corny dog at home should "try this" before he presented the recipe in the article.

Only the Fletchers know if they are pulling our legs or not. One could of course make up a batch of corn (corny) dogs using "Corn Kits" and buy some from a stand at the fair to compare. However, the age of the grease used at the fair probably makes a difference, along with the particular weiners used.

Dave McNeely
October 05, 2015 02:40PM
Morningstar Farms actually makes a "corn dog" , widely available at supermarkets in the freezer section, but they're not the same. Most veggie dogs are some combination of wheat gluten and soy with the same spices as regular dogs, packed into a casing (probably also soy) that has the same "bite" as normal ones. Some are barely edible and some are pretty close to what I remember, but we've been vegetarian (not vegan) for over 40 years. But the batter is definitely crucial and that was stellar. Texas Monthly published a recipe for corny dogs last year some time but I haven't tried it yet.
As an aside, I really hate the word "veggie" but it's so much a part of the vernacular that it's hard to come up with a replacement that doesn't seem pretentious.
October 05, 2015 03:00PM
northdallasgirl Wrote:
> Morningstar Farms actually makes a "corn dog" ,
> widely available at supermarkets in the freezer
> section, but they're not the same. Most veggie
> dogs are some combination of wheat gluten and soy
> with the same spices as regular dogs, packed into
> a casing (probably also soy) that has the same
> "bite" as normal ones. Some are barely edible and
> some are pretty close to what I remember, but
> we've been vegetarian (not vegan) for over 40
> years. But the batter is definitely crucial and
> that was stellar. Texas Monthly published a
> recipe for corny dogs last year some time but I
> haven't tried it yet.
> As an aside, I really hate the word "veggie" but
> it's so much a part of the vernacular that it's
> hard to come up with a replacement that doesn't
> seem pretentious.

I referenced the Texas Monthly article with the recipe (from Skip Fletcher himself, secrets notwithstanding) in a post above.

I too detest the word "vegie," along with a lot of other words that have been invented in recent years to avoid using real words. Oh well, might as well try to stop the sun from rising.

Dave McNeely
November 10, 2015 03:01PM
When we were younger 1960's I think, was a club between the Cotton & Fletchers. We never went in, my parents, aunt, uncle & grandparents took turns watching the 5 of us while they went in.
April 01, 2016 09:41AM
Worked at Fletchers during the state fair and summers of 1948 and 1949. Continue to visit most every year since.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login