Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lolaville

Posted by northdallasgirl 
Lolaville
July 19, 2015 10:24AM
iDoes anyone remember a little place called Lolaville at old Hwy.121 and 289 (Preston Rd.)? There were remnants of it until construction began on the Sam Rayburn Tollway. It was just a ramshackle group of small cabins and a couple of fruit and veg stands. Sometimes it looked occupied and sometimes not. I always assumed it was housing for farm workers, but it was on Rand-McNally's Texas road map for years. Maybe cartographers have a weird sense of humor.
Re: Lolaville
July 19, 2015 11:16AM
I live up the road in Frisco. When we came here in 1994 there was a little derelict fruit stand nestled in a bunch of weeping willows on the SW of Preston and 121. A board with Lolaville painted on it was nailed to one of the willows….sorta sad. I've been meaning to ask some of the old timers in Frisco about it. I suppose it just frittered away like the little town of Navo up on Hwy 380. Jim
July 19, 2015 12:14PM
northdallasgirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> iDoes anyone remember a little place called
> Lolaville at old Hwy.121 and 289 (Preston Rd.)?
> There were remnants of it until construction began
> on the Sam Rayburn Tollway. It was just a
> ramshackle group of small cabins and a couple of
> fruit and veg stands. Sometimes it looked
> occupied and sometimes not. I always assumed it
> was housing for farm workers, but it was on
> Rand-McNally's Texas road map for years. Maybe
> cartographers have a weird sense of humor.

I first became aware of Lolaville when I was a kid, and travelled out that way with my father on fishing expeditions (he liked to go to out of the way creeks that he got access to through acquaintances when he was in the produce business). I completely forgot about it for 30 years, but then in the early 1990s I traveled Preston Road at least once a month from Denton to Plano to visit my mother there. I had never thought much about it other than that it was what my father used to call "a wide spot in the road." All that was there then was the derelict fruit stand and a Dairy Queen north of 121.

Turns out it has an interesting history:

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.collincountyhistory.com]

Dave McNeely
July 19, 2015 12:31PM
That's also all I ever remember of Lolaville since the 1960s and did not give in much thought. I really can't recall if there were any substantial buildings remaining, or just the tables for the fruit and vegetables

I got a little deeper into the subject a few years ago and as I recall Lola Dunafan Adams was a white school teacher from Lebanon who taught in the colored school where Lolaville was located. There may have been a couple of stores there also. There were a few houses.

SH 121 was completed between Lewisville and McKinney in the 1950s passing right through Lolaville.

The schoolhouse was on the north side of SH 121 and west side of SH 289. It is still shown on the 1961 THD maps. It may have been closed/consolidated during desegregation. The was a white school to the south at Shepton..

Frank Tolbert wrote a couple of articles about the place in the 1960s.

M C
July 20, 2015 10:10AM
Looking at the Historicaerials site, Lolaville appears on the USGS topo maps starting in 1962, and as late as 1991. The 1929 and 1949 topo maps list the area as unsurveyed. I don't remember Lolaville, only the Howard Thornton Ford dealership that sat at the northwest corner of Preston and 121.

And I'm sad that I never stopped to eat at the Navo Cafe.
July 20, 2015 12:54PM
Navo, on US 380 between Denton and SH 289, was little more than a closed store /.service station when I moved here 30+ years ago but I seem to recall about 10 or more ago it was remodeled as a café with an outdoor dining patio then just as quickly vanished with the new housing development.

The original Prairie House further west in Lincoln Park had good inexpensive food and then moved in a old school house or church and had a small intimate dinner theater, That lasted only a short while until they built the new place in Crossroads. I went once, then never again. Same with the original Trail Dust Steakhouse,

I'm still waiting for one of you to admit knowing about Melissa's Ranch or April's.

M C
July 20, 2015 02:01PM
MC, you're right, it was the Navo store before it was a cafe. When I was dating my wife, back in '98 and '99, I would make the drive to see her in Denton, on 380 (this was when 380 was being widened, between Loop 288 and the Denton/Collin county line. I drove by the Navo store many times. I'm unable to find any pictures of it online, but the oldest version on Google Maps Street View (from November, 2007) shows the building with its stepped facade. The cafe didn't last very long, before the buildings were torn down, replaced with a gas station and mini mart. Bing Maps Bird's Eye View shows the old buildings in three views, but a vacant lot when looking from the north.
July 20, 2015 03:55PM
Small communities and ghost towns along well travelled routes are interesting. One such on U.S. 380 in near the crossing of the upper reaches of Lake Lewisville in Denton County is Cross Roads. Cross Roads is incorporated, or was. It came into being in about 1968 or so, created by a mobil home park owner, and organized by vote of his tenants. He promised that there would be no municipal taxes on property or municipal sales taxes (for that matter, he owned the only commercial enterprise in the "town." The town government was to be supported by taxes paid by his liquor, beer, and wine store. Denton County was dry, but Texas allows "local option" regarding alcohol sales within the limits of a governmental subunit such as a county precinct or an incorporated town or city. So, the mobil home park owner got his town, and got his tenants to vote wet. He then watched the parade of traffic from Denton that traveled to his store, especially college students and even faculty from the two universities there. I myself participated in that parade on numerous occasions. At that time, 380 was a narrow two lane highway, and actually it was a state highway, not a U.S., and the numerical designation it bore has evaded my memory.

Added in edit: The present U.S. 380 follows the route of the former Texas State Highway 24 across a good portion of North Texas, including Denton County. The liquor, beer, and wine store that I recall was on Highway 24. I believe the redesignation of 24 to 380 took place in the early 1970s.

I've not spent much time in Denton County in recent years, and I am sure that Cross Roads is considerably different now, with the explosive growth that has occurred in the area.

Dave McNeely

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2015 07:13PM by old man from dallas.
July 20, 2015 07:23PM
Lolaville appeared on TxDOT small guide signs in the past. I have some old signage layout paperwork that shows them.

Crossroads posted city limit signs on US 380 somewhere in the 2005-2007 time frame.
July 20, 2015 08:44PM
Isn't there a middle school named Navo in that area now? Maybe in/near Little Elm.

Mike
July 20, 2015 08:58PM
Dave -

I believe Lincoln Park was/is the mobile home community established and incorporated just for liquor sales. Cross Roads is just west and a much older rural community but also has a couple of liquor stores and I assume also incorporated in the same era for the same reason. It has scattered residential, some dating back to the expansion of Lake Dallas into Lake Lewisville. Cross Roads now has a Walmart, county sub-courthouse, and a large medical center, along with several new fast food restaurants. Lincoln Park has a liquor store and a service station. I think Trail Dust is now closed Prairie House moved to Cross Roads.

South of US 380 between McKinney and Cross Roads is almost fully developed with residential and retail strips and there are several large projects underway on the north side. Little Elm, The Colony, Carrollton and Plano have expanded to where there is very little undeveloped land in between.

Lots of recent developments with Lincoln Park and the long time owner. I haven't followed the details that closely but if I recall correctly he arranged to have the mobile home park annexed by Little Elm and then tried to evict the tenants. The city council has rubber stamped all his actions for years but there is finally some real concern and an investigation that involves the Texas Rangers.

I had a discussion with Roy Appleton of the Dallas Morning News about the original Lincoln Park liquor arrangement. Roy attended North Texas State during that period and was acquainted with of one of the principals who is part of a family with long involvement in restaurants, liquor, and a few stints in federal prison during prohibition. Probably all I should say here

M C
July 20, 2015 09:01PM
mreagant Wrote:
> Isn't there a middle school named Navo in that
> area now? Maybe in/near Little Elm.
>
> Mike

Several new schools in those developments including a high school. Some are part of the Denton School District and others Little Elm, but I am not sure where the boundary lines are anymore.

M C
July 20, 2015 09:36PM
M C Toyer Wrote:
> Dave -
>
> I believe Lincoln Park was/is the mobile home
> community established and incorporated just for
> liquor sales.

M C, looks like you are right concerning Lincoln Park:

[en.wikipedia.org]

I could not remember the name of the community, then consulted a list of Denton County incorporated towns. Cross Roads appeared in the list, but there was no Lincoln Park. I then remembered Cross Roads as being along Hwy 24, and thought it fit the bill. I had the time a little off, too. The place incorporated in 1971, which was while I was in graduate school at UNT, rather than a couple of years before I started. Boy, the traffic between Denton and Lincoln Park on Friday afternoon/evening was something to behold. I'm sure the owner of the store there made bundles.

Dave McNeely
July 20, 2015 09:38PM
Used to pass Lolaville on my way to skydive at Aero Country airport in the early/mid 80s several times a week. All that was there then was the defunct fruit stand and the sign.

M.C., was given a sizeable gift certificate to April's for my 50th birthday...............spent every cent of it there too. :-)
July 20, 2015 10:26PM
Mr. Freeze Wrote:
> Used to pass Lolaville on my way to skydive at
> Aero Country airport in the early/mid 80s several
> times a week. All that was there then was the
> defunct fruit stand and the sign.
>
> M.C., was given a sizeable gift certificate to
> April's for my 50th birthday...............spent
> every cent of it there too. :-)

I don't know anything about either of the emporia that M C brought up, but I do remember that there was a "massage parlor" somewhere along Hwy 289 that was reputed to be something other than what its sign claimed it to be.

Dave McNeely
July 21, 2015 12:47AM
Well at least Jerry fessed up.

April's had a large lighted "Massage Parlor - Open 24 Hours" sign on their double wide trailer right on SH 289 in Lebanon and as I recall was just across the road from the Baptist Church.

Melissa's Ranch was less obvious. It was typical of the signs you see over the drives of most farms/ranches and you could see a barn well back off the highway. There was a brick ranch style home off to the side of the barn you could only see once you entered the property and a few horses in the pasture. It was on the north side of SH 121 between SH 289 and McKinney and outside any city limits.

About 15-20 year ago I was called for a repair job for several broken windows at Melissa's. It did not take me long to recognize the true nature of the enterprise and there was a steady stream of taxicabs dropping off and picking up "gentlemen" visitors.

Apparently a customer was not satisfied with his "happy ending." They paid me in cash, not trade.

M C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2015 02:15AM by M C Toyer.
July 21, 2015 02:12AM
old man from dallas Wrote:
> M C Toyer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> I could not remember the name of the community,
> then consulted a list of Denton County
> incorporated towns. Cross Roads appeared in the
> list, but there was no Lincoln Park. I then
> remembered Cross Roads as being along Hwy 24, and
> thought it fit the bill. I had the time a little
> off, too. The place incorporated in 1971, which
> was while I was in graduate school at UNT, rather
> than a couple of years before I started. Boy, the
> traffic between Denton and Lincoln Park on Friday
> afternoon/evening was something to behold. I'm
> sure the owner of the store there made bundles.

The old store at the "Cross Roads" was just recently demolished. It was one of those depression era frame buildings, set at 45 degrees to the intersection, with an awning over the front where there were probably gas pumps but it has been closed and vacant for the 31 years I lived near. It looks to have had living quarters in the rear part of store. The old Cross Roads Church and parsonage are on the opposite side the intersection and still in use.

The Cross Roads "intersection" is present Fishtrap Road, a name from the 19th century and an early and important road connecting Denton and McKinney in use before 1850, and a road connecting the old town of Garza to Aubrey and points north.

Prior to the construction of Lake Dallas in the mid 1920s SH 24 from Decatur ran east through Denton on present McKinney Street to Little Elm. Afterwards it turned southeast in Denton along US 77 to Garza and crossed the Lake Dallas dam then back north a bit, then due east to Little Elm picking up the pre dam route. It then led to Frisco then US 77 on present FM 720, then turned north again to McKinney, then east to Greenville. Broadway Street was the original route of SH 24 in Frisco and there is one of the Blue Star Memorial Highway bronze plaques at a park on Broadway, but I do not know its age.

When Lake Lewisville was built in the 1950s the new dam was further south of the original which was breached causing SH 24 to be rerouted northeast then almost due eas from Denton to McKinney before it was designated US 380. Fishtrap Road was roughly parallel and about 1/4 to 1/2 mile north of the SH 24 / US 380 alignment.

In the past 10 years a new road and toll bridge was constructed across Lake Lewisville north of the original Lake Dallas dam connecting the town of Lake Dallas to Little Elm, much as it did more than a half century earlier.

Brian can shed some light about SH 24 previously being designated SH 39.

The late Pete Charlton made a trip west from Denton to Decatur on the old SH 24 a few years ago - his blog post with several photos is here:
Scouting The Lost Highway To Old Stoney & Decatur

Still a few interesting relics to be seen.

M C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2015 08:50AM by M C Toyer.
July 21, 2015 08:45AM
M C, at which intersection and on what corner was the old store? It sounds familiar, and I was trying to place it. I do remember an old frame building set at an angle, and I was trying to locate it on historicaerials.com. Was it the northwest corner of 380 and Oak Grove Lane?
July 21, 2015 09:00AM
sharkins Wrote:
> M C, at which intersection and on what corner was
> the old store? It sounds familiar, and I was
> trying to place it. I do remember an old frame
> building set at an angle, and I was trying to
> locate it on historicaerials.com. Was it the
> northwest corner of 380 and Oak Grove Lane?

Southwest corner of Fishtrap Road and FM 424 just north of US 380 and east of US 377. It can still be seen on Google Street View. I had forgotten it was a two story so living quarters likely upstairs, but then that may have been added after it was no longer a store. Looks like the awning was already gone or maybe just enclosed.
July 21, 2015 12:30PM
I think that old store was also a Shell gas station. Therein was a little restaurant that had the best hamburgers. Also to the east was a place called Earl's on 380…..great burgers, too. Earl's has now become a 7-11 attached to a liquor store. I practice in the Baylor facility across from Lincoln Park. Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login